RE: [Sipping] updated dialog package

"Venkatesh Venkataramanan" <Venkatesh.Venkataramanan@sylantro.com> Thu, 26 February 2004 17:56 UTC

Subject: RE: [Sipping] updated dialog package
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 09:49:54 -0800
From: Venkatesh Venkataramanan <Venkatesh.Venkataramanan@sylantro.com>
To: Rohan Mahy <rohan@cisco.com>
cc: Paul Pepper <paul.pepper@citel.com>, sipping <sipping@ietf.org>
Sender: sipping-admin@ietf.org

Hi,

Filtering as a mechanism would work well if the phone is receiving the NOTIFY's from one single entity. In applications based on dialog state where the UA could be receiving NOTIFY's from various entities, this would amount to the UA having to establish filters at each such entity that is providing the UA notifications which like you rightly comment would amount to more filtering install traffic than any meaningful exchange of information. Definitely like I said in my earlier email and your comment, an end UA can simply discard NOTIFY's once it reaches it limits, but limiting NOTIFY's at the source if possible would be nice to have feature.

Also, what I am requesting for is not radically redefining the error response for a NOTIFY. The 4xx response is STILL terminating subscriptions, but with a narrower scope (just subscriptions to the dialog that was presented to it in the payload of the NOTIFY).

thanks
Venkatesh