RE: [Sipping] new draft on ICE for opening SIPdialogs: draft-lowekamp-sipping-ice-for-sip-00

"Christer Holmberg" <christer.holmberg@ericsson.com> Mon, 19 November 2007 07:18 UTC

Subject: RE: [Sipping] new draft on ICE for opening SIPdialogs: draft-lowekamp-sipping-ice-for-sip-00
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2007 08:17:54 +0100
From: Christer Holmberg <christer.holmberg@ericsson.com>
To: Bruce Lowekamp <lowekamp@sipeerior.com>
Cc: sipping@ietf.org

Hi,

Some questions.

First, it is true that there may be an intermediate which doesn't need
to be in the path once the call has been established. But, normally is a
reason why a proxy/intermediate insert a Record-Route. Why would they do
that if they at the same time say that it is ok to remove them from the
call path?

Second, in some environments user plane resources are reserved by some
intermediate, and/or gate type-of-functions are controlled by some
intermediate. These resources must be available during the whole call,
but if the resource controlling intermediates are removed from the path,
how will they know when to release the resources? Or, do you assume a
terminal will only once send a "normal" INVITE, resources will be
reserved, and then they will be available "forever"?

Third, you seem to assume that the media path will be end-to-end from
the beginning. But, a B2BUA may also control a media proxy. And, even if
the B2BUA is removed from the signalling path, the media may still
traverse it.

Regards,

Christer