Re: [Sipping] Re: draft-sinnreich-sipdev-req-06.txt

Paul Kyzivat <pkyzivat@cisco.com> Wed, 18 May 2005 20:04 UTC

Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 16:03:16 -0400
From: Paul Kyzivat <pkyzivat@cisco.com>
To: Christian Stredicke <Christian.Stredicke@snom.de>
Subject: Re: [Sipping] Re: draft-sinnreich-sipdev-req-06.txt
Cc: "Johnston, Alan" <alan.johnston@mci.com>, Francois Audet <audet@nortel.com>, sipping@ietf.org
Sender: sipping-bounces@ietf.org

Christian Stredicke wrote:
> About the dial plan discussion: Friends, please lets not forget this is
> just a requirement. In this document we cannot nail down the details.
> Lets just mention that the phone (*if* it support a dial plan) is able
> to generate all kinds of URI. Practically, that will be done by
> generating text with some ERE-matching scheme (see for an example
> http://snom.com/whitepapers/FAQ-04-03-27-cs.pdf). But we don't have to
> solve this problem here in this document.

Yes, one can get carried away, and I don't want to do that.
OTOH, when trying to turn requirements into standards it is not unusual
to have someone say "why do you specify XYZ when there is no requirement
justifying that?"

Maybe some examples of the kinds of transformations that should be
possible would be better. E.g. dialed digits "5551234", based on
different configs should be able to end up as:

   tel:+12125551234
   sip:+12125551234@example.net;user=phone
   sips:+12125551234@example.net;user=phone
   sip:5551234@example.net
   sips:5551234@example.net
   tel:5551234;phone-context=nyc1.example.net
   sip:5551234;phone-context=nyc1.example.net
            @example.net;user=phone
   sips:5551234;phone-context=nyc1.example.net
            @example.net;user=phone
   sip:5551234;phone-context=nyc1.example.net
            @example.net;user=dialstring
   sips:5551234;phone-context=nyc1.example.net
            @example.net;user=dialstring
   tel:5551234;phone-context=+1212
   sip:5551234;phone-context=+1212
            @example.net;user=phone
   sips:5551234;phone-context=+1212
            @example.net;user=phone
   sip:5551234;phone-context=+1212
            @example.net;user=dialstring
   sips:5551234;phone-context=+1212
            @example.net;user=dialstring

In the simplest devices there may be only one transformation for all
dial strings, while for smarter devices the transformation may be a
function of the digits dialed, but the same range of possibilities
should be there in all cases.

Paul