[Sipping] Re: Transcoding and route entries

Rohan Mahy <rohan@cisco.com> Fri, 12 March 2004 18:39 UTC

Cc: Eric Burger <eburger@snowshore.com>, Rohan Mahy <rohan@cisco.com>, Jonathan Rosemberg <jdrosen@dynamicsoft.com>, Adam Roach <adam@dynamicsoft.com>, Henning Schulzrinne <hgs@cs.columbia.edu>, sipping <sipping@ietf.org>
From: Rohan Mahy <rohan@cisco.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 10:35:12 -0800
To: Gonzalo Camarillo <Gonzalo.Camarillo@ericsson.com>
Subject: [Sipping] Re: Transcoding and route entries
Sender: sipping-admin@ietf.org

Hi Folks,

This decision boils down to a question of semantics.  Does a URI in a
Route header mean:  1) send through this proxy, or 2) send through this
service or intermediary ?

One of the important things to consider when there is a difference of
philosophy or opinion regarding semantics, is to consider if any harm
comes from either of the choices.  In this case, I can come up with no
technical reason that using a Route header is harmful.

Another key question is if there is any precedent.  Again, the two
proposals both have some precedent. Conference bridges do not use the
Route header (the analogy of approach 1), but folks have been using
Route headers to direct SIP requests through B2BUAs for session border
control (gasp), policy control, P-CSCFs, etc.. for some time now (the
analogy of approach 2).  I can even dig up some old mail when we
encouraged 3GPP to use a loose-route for one of their many B2BUAs
instead of defining some piece of new mechanism.  Taking this a step
further, we've been talking about how *proxies* can use session policy
to meet logging requirements.  I think this is very similar to
transcoding, since some entity operating on behalf of both
intermediaries (transcoder and logging proxy) need to see the media.

Finally there is the question of using existing mechanism vs. inventing
new mechanism.  If the existing mechanism fits, I see no reason to
define new mechanism unless a more general approach to other problems
is achievable with the new mechanism.  Nobody is proposing using the
new mechanism proposed in (1) to do anything else.  Also, the
conference bridge analogy breaks IMO since conference bridges do not
use this new mechanism to indicate the other participants in the
conference.

In summary, I prefer option 2 (use the Route header).  The approach
causes no harm, has precedent for existing usage, and requires no new
special-purpose mechanism.

thanks,
-rohan