RE: [rohc] RE: [Sipping] SIGCOMP and large binary content SIP mes sages

"Price, Richard" <richard.price@roke.co.uk> Fri, 28 March 2003 22:55 UTC

From: "Price, Richard" <richard.price@roke.co.uk>
To: "'zhigang.c.liu@nokia.com'" <zhigang.c.liu@nokia.com>, cabo@tzi.org, Lars-Erik.Jonsson@epl.ericsson.se
Cc: rohc@ietf.org, sipping@ietf.org
Subject: RE: [rohc] RE: [Sipping] SIGCOMP and large binary content SIP mes sages
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2003 11:04:14 -0000
Sender: sipping-admin@ietf.org

> I agree on most of your comments. What I want to clarify and ask
> for input is the way to organize documents. Based on comments
> from Gonzalo and my own view, we should have *two* documents:
>
> Document-1. Not specific to SIP. Deal with how to apply SigComp
> to application protocol whose messages may contain binary (i.e.
> non UTF-8 encoded) data. It should contain at least two parts:
> a) multiplexing between uncompressed and SigComp messages on
> the same TCP port, and b) performance implication. Part a) should
> be normative and b) should be just recommendations.

Hi,

Regarding point a), I don't see how this can be done without
talking about specific protocols. Adam already made a proposal for
how to do the multiplexing in the case of SIP, which is as follows:

1. Peek at the first byte waiting in the stream.

2. If it is 0xf8 or higher, the next message in the stream is
   a SigComp message. The message continues until a 0xFFFF is
   encountered in the stream.

3. Otherwise, the next message in the stream is a SIP message.
   Read the stream until a CR/LF/CR/LF is encountered. Parse
   the headers, and then read the number of bytes specified
   in the "Content-Length" header.

4. Return to step 1.

However, the above mechanism works only for SIP - different
multiplexing mechanisms would be needed when using SigComp to
compress different protocols.

Regarding point b), it might be good to have some recommendations
on how to implement an efficient compressor for messages with
binary content. A suitable home for these would be the SigComp
User Guide, which already talks about the various different
compressors that can be used in conjunction with SigComp.

> Document-2. SIP Specific. Deal with issues on how to apply SigComp
> to SIP, e.g. default DMS, compartment mapping/management, how to
> deal with binary data in SIP messages, etc.
>
> If we agree on the two documents approach, I think Document-1 should
> be ROHC WG document as it is not SIP specific. As to document-2, I
> tend to agree with you that it should be done in SIPPING WG. But
> I really don't have strong feeling, as long as it is done.
>
> During the ROHC meeting in IETF-56, I've volunteered to be the editor
> of document-2. I see you've made many good points here. So, here is
> my proposal. I'll write a skeleton draft with TOC, fill in some sections
> that looks obvious to me (e.g. DMS, binary content, and perhaps
> compartment mapping) and then send to you so you can change and fill with
> other issues you pointed out below. I'll try to do that in the next 2~3 weeks.
> Hopefully, people will agree which WG to home the document by then. :-)

Sounds ok to me. Of course, we'll need more mailing-list discussion
on some of the open issues - how much memory should be provided by
each SigComp endpoint and so on.

Regards,

Richard