RE: [Sipping] SUMMARY: Trunk groups in R-URI

"Peterson, Jon" <jon.peterson@neustar.biz> Fri, 06 September 2002 18:11 UTC

From: "Peterson, Jon" <jon.peterson@neustar.biz>
To: "'Mpierce1@aol.com'" <Mpierce1@aol.com>, vkg@lucent.com, sipping@ietf.org
Cc: fluffy@cisco.com, adam@dynamicsoft.com
Subject: RE: [Sipping] SUMMARY: Trunk groups in R-URI
Date: Fri, 06 Sep 2002 14:06:45 -0400
Sender: sipping-admin@ietf.org

SIP 'in general' means SIP for instant messaging and so on - SIP as a
non-telephony-specific protocol. There is no need for my instant messaging
client to understand or support the concept of trunk groups. But in
telephony contexts, obviously the concept of a trunk group is useful.

I agree that my interpretation of the tel URL as a repository for
telephony-specific addressing may not be universally accepted - but I
haven't really canvassed for it in this forum, to date. I should probably
start. Though James Yu's draft certainly goes a long way towards that view,
were it to be ratified.

I think a good way to look at it would be like this: if I'm sending a
request to a gateway, it should have a tel URL in the Request-URI.
Otherwise, the gateway would have a hard time constructing a destination
telephony address (CPN in IAM, or whatever is relevant to the PSTN interface
of the gateway). I would say, in fact, that having a tel URL is a necessary
condition for sending a request through a gateway. If the scheme of the
Request-URI is 'tel:', then frequently it is also a sufficient condition for
sending the request to a gateway. Requests that are destined for a trunk
group, I think, must ultimately also be destined for a telephone number. In
other words, I think the times when a trunk group is likely to be specified
correspond to the times that a tel URL will be used, and the times that a
tel URL is not used, one should not have any need to specify a trunk group.

Jon Peterson
NeuStar, Inc.