Re: [Sipping] Late comment on draft-ietf-sippping-sip-offeranswer-14

"Elwell, John" <john.elwell@siemens-enterprise.com> Wed, 27 April 2011 07:41 UTC

From: "Elwell, John" <john.elwell@siemens-enterprise.com>
To: Paul Kyzivat <pkyzivat@cisco.com>, "sipping@ietf.org" <sipping@ietf.org>
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2011 09:41:35 +0200
acceptlanguage: en-US
Subject: Re: [Sipping] Late comment on draft-ietf-sippping-sip-offeranswer-14

[JRE] Where is that stated normatively?

> This does put a burden on the 3pcc device - to patch up the SDP.
[JRE] This MIGHT be feasible, but it goes way beyond just manipulating version numbers. Basically the B2BUA would have to retain state about which m-lines are in use in each leg of the call (i.e., to B and to C) and perform mappings each time a SDP is passed through (e.g., the second m-line from B becomes the third m-line to C and vice versa). I wonder how many implementations do this today?

> I would actually prefer to have a change that would loosen up
> what can
> be done in this regard but it would be a normative change with pretty
> severe backward compatibility issues.
>
> > The text of 5.2.5 then goes on to say:
> > "The behavior when receiving such a non-compliant offer/answer SDP
> >        body is implementation dependent."
> > It is not clear what this fails to comply with. I can find
> nothing in RFC 3264 that stops you sending a new o-line if
> there is a new session. Yes, it would be non-compliant if
> only modifying an existing session, but how does the
> recipient know whether or not it is a new session, and
> therefore whether or not it is valid?
>
> I think you are describing "SessionS Initiation Protocol", not the
> "Session Initiation Protocol". AFAIK you only get one session per
> invite-dialog-usage.
[JRE] Again, where is that stated normatively?

> > It then goes on to recommend use of Replaces in this
> situation (i.e. change of session):
> > "If a UA needs to negotiate a
> >        'new' SDP session, it should use the INVITE/Replaces method."
> > But Replaces is not feasible if the UA concerned does not
> support it (and hence "should", presumably). So there will
> still be cases where a controlling B2BUA is forced to change
> the o-line (not just the version) in order to comply with RFC 3264.
> >
> > So there needs to be a mechanism for changing to a 'new'
> session without relying on Replaces. As far as I can see,
> there is no standards track RFC that forbids changing the
> o-line to achieve this, so this new Informational draft
> should not attempt to make that change, and in particular
> should not do so without proposing an alternative solution.
>
> I think the mechanism requires a normative change to SIP.
[JRE] That depends - it is unclear to me what normative statements are broken by starting a new session with a new o-line.

John