Re: [Sipping] I-D Action:draft-kaplan-sipping-pai-responses-00.txt

Hadriel Kaplan <HKaplan@acmepacket.com> Mon, 01 December 2008 15:43 UTC

From: Hadriel Kaplan <HKaplan@acmepacket.com>
To: "Elwell, John" <john.elwell@siemens.com>, sipping <sipping@ietf.org>
Date: Mon, 01 Dec 2008 10:43:36 -0500
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: Cullen Jennings <fluffy@cisco.com>
Subject: Re: [Sipping] I-D Action:draft-kaplan-sipping-pai-responses-00.txt
Sender: sipping-bounces@ietf.org

Maybe I don't understand what your update draft is trying to accomplish, or maybe I don't understand RFC 3325.  They're written in English, but English is not my native language, so who knows.

My belief is that your draft is trying to clarify that PAI can be used in other methods than INVITE, that a trusted UAC can insert it, and that it can be more and different URI schemes.  It's not actually changing the fundamental definitions/scope of RFC 3325, right?

So let's start with what RFC 3325 is about.  For one, it's an Informational RFC for private use.  For another, it actually does not say what methods a PAI can be inserted in or not - it only uses the word "message", and in fact says both requests and responses.  It very clearly says that if a Proxy trusts a node, then it can believe the information as if it had authenticated the user itself.  Are you suggesting your draft is going to remove that, or re-define that?  For what purpose?  This whole thing is about a private network deciding what "Trust" means to itself!

But more importantly, RFC 3325 does not define a particular *instantiation* of a Spec(T).  It gives an *example* of one, but that's it.  If I decide for my network that all my PSTN Gateways and proxies trust each other, then that is my specific Spec(T).  If you decide for your network that only proxies have a trust relationship, then that's your Spec(T).  In my network, the PSTN gateways can certainly send back PAI in responses, because they're implicitly authenticated.  In your network they can't, because they're outside of the trust domain.  And the problem is...?

That's why Keith doesn't need to give you any 3GPP use-case.  It's not germane to the draft.  3GPP is simply one particular Spec(T).  It very well could be a bad one (and I think it has some holes), but that's the nature of a private-use, privately-defined Spec(T) model to begin with, which is all RFC 3325 covers!

-hadriel