RE: [Sipping] SIPPING secretary: The SIPPING webpage is updated

"Mary Barnes" <mary.barnes@nortel.com> Thu, 26 January 2006 17:43 UTC

Subject: RE: [Sipping] SIPPING secretary: The SIPPING webpage is updated
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2006 11:32:27 -0600
From: Mary Barnes <mary.barnes@nortel.com>
To: "Oscar Novo (JO/LMF)" <oscar.novo@ericsson.com>, sipping <sipping@ietf.org>
Sender: sipping-bounces@ietf.org

Oscar,

Some of those documents you've put in the morgue shouldn't be there as
they've become RFCs (or are in the RFC Editor's Q).  I'm not sure what
the process is, but I would think they should stay in the active
document page and add a link to the RFC OR just drop them altogether.  I
think it's misleading, however, to put them in the morgue.  One that I
see right off that this applies to is:

- A Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) Event Package for Conference State
draft-ietf-sipping-conference-package-12

Also the -10 and -11 versions of that don't seem to be in the morgue
(I've got those cached on my machine and I imagine the authors have them
as well).

And, I noticed that the -11 version of netann is also in the morgue
(it's not on your list below), but that's been published as RFC 4240.

I know that maintaining this information is ALOT of work for you and I'm
really wondering if it's absolutely necessary any longer since the IETF
document tracking tools have improved vastly since this information was
initially maintained on these alternate pages. I agree it's nice to have
older versions of documents available since they disappear from the
repository and it's nice to see the individual documents that are not
yet working group documents altogether.  But, I find it easier now to
keep track of working group documents using the IETF tools. It might be
easier for you for WG documents to just include the doc name and a link
into the version kept by the tool, although I guess you still need a
mechanism to manually cache the old version.  But, you could do that
without impacting the main page.

Dean mentioned something at IETF-64 about changing the way he's managing
the information for SIP WG due to the availability of most of the
information in the tools.  I wasn't entirely clear on the details of
that, but it seems that SIPPING should follow a similar model.

Mary