Re: [Sipping] Method for URI-List servers to refuse the handling of a URI-List

Gonzalo Camarillo <Gonzalo.Camarillo@ericsson.com> Thu, 02 November 2006 06:22 UTC

Date: Thu, 02 Nov 2006 08:22:34 +0200
From: Gonzalo Camarillo <Gonzalo.Camarillo@ericsson.com>
To: Jonathan Rosenberg <jdrosen@cisco.com>
Subject: Re: [Sipping] Method for URI-List servers to refuse the handling of a URI-List
Cc: sipping@ietf.org

Hi Jonathan,

in addition to the response code you refer to, the draft defines a way
to inform the client about which entries in the URI-list the server did
not like, because those entries were lists themselves, and provide the
individual members of those lists.

For example, a server receives the following URI-list in a request:

Bob@example.com
Bob-friends@server2.example.com

The second URI in the list is a URI-list that needs to be "exploded" at
a different server. But our server cannot know that just by looking at
the URI. It sends a request to each of the URIs and gets an error
response (the one defined in the draft) and a list with the individual
members of Bob-friends@server2.example.com. The original server then
sends requests to those URIs.

This is basically an OMA dependency for PoC. The server receiving the
original request is the controlling PoC server of an ad-hoc PoC session,
which is created by a request that contains URIs that represent PoC
sessions at a different PoC server. Any given PoC session can only have
a single controlling PoC server.

So, the debate here is whether this is general enough to be a regular
header field or whether a P-header using an existing error code is more
appropriate.

I believe that the ability to point out which URIs in a URI-list caused
a server to refuse the request is general enough and, thus, a regular
header field is the way to go. However, OMA will most likely be equally
happy if we add the "P-" prefix to such header.

Cheers,

Gonzalo