[Sipping] SIP and SPAM

"Saverio Niccolini" <Saverio.Niccolini@netlab.nec.de> Wed, 13 June 2007 10:08 UTC

Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 12:08:11 +0200
From: Saverio Niccolini <Saverio.Niccolini@netlab.nec.de>
To: sipping@ietf.org
Cc: Martin Stiemerling <Stiemerling@netlab.nec.de>, Juergen Quittek <Quittek@netlab.nec.de>
Subject: [Sipping] SIP and SPAM

Dear all,

I wanted to try to stimulate a discussion on SIP and SPAM.

The description of mechanisms for dealing with SIP and SPAM is progressing as a SIPPING WG work item (draft-ietf-sipping-spam-04). We now think this is the right time to raise the attention on how to integrate SPIT prevention methods into real-time applications.

This is an engineering problem including the following issues:
- a SPIT prevention framework
- reference scenarios for communication between entities involved in SPIT prevention
- protocols for communication between the entities

We and other folks have been in the past already starting suggesting solutions for this (see later the list of draft related to these topics).

I would like to hear your opinion if such work is something we should continue developing in the IETF (in SIPPING, in a new WG, in other WGs).

The drafts I am referring to (in addition to the one already cited) are:
-- Niccolini, S. and J. Quittek, "Signaling TO Prevent SPIT (SPITSTOP)
Reference Scenario", draft-niccolini-sipping-spitstop-00 (work in progress),
January 2007.
-- Niccolini, S., "SIP Extensions for SPIT identification",
draft-niccolini-sipping-feedback-spit-03 (work in progress), February 2007.
-- Shacham, R. and H. Schulzrinne, "HTTP Header for Future Correspondence
Addresses", draft-shacham-http-corr-uris-00 (work in progress), May 2007.
-- Froment, T., "Authorization Policies for Preventing SPIT",
draft-froment-sipping-spit-authz-policies-02 (work in progress), February 2007.

Cheers,
Saverio

Dr. Saverio Niccolini
Senior Research Staff Member
Network Laboratories, NEC Europe Ltd.
Kurfuerstenanlage 36, D-69115 Heidelberg
Tel.     +49 (0)6221 4342-118
Fax:     +49 (0)6221 4342-155
e-mail:  saverio.niccolini@netlab.nec.de