Re: [Sipping] Expiration of permissions in consent

Miguel Garcia <Miguel.An.Garcia@nokia.com> Thu, 24 November 2005 08:30 UTC

Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2005 10:30:33 +0200
From: Miguel Garcia <Miguel.An.Garcia@nokia.com>
To: Gonzalo Camarillo <Gonzalo.Camarillo@ericsson.com>
Subject: Re: [Sipping] Expiration of permissions in consent
Cc: sipping <sipping@ietf.org>, Dean Willis <dean.willis@softarmor.com>
Sender: sipping-bounces@ietf.org

If we compare we today's e-mail, I am subscribed to a mailing list that
sends me e-mail to my inbox, which I can access from any device with the
appropriate connectivity.

If we put expiration time to the permisions, then I would need to
refresh these permisions from a given UA when the permision is over. If
I change the UA, I would need to reconfigure with all the permisions I
had granted in the past, to keep refreshing them. And what about if this
other UA does not support the consent framework operations? Or I would
need a synchronization mechanism that keeps me informed across different
UAs of the expiration time, when there isn't an active subscription.

In the meantime, when my permission is expired, people might be try to
contact the list (including me), but because my permision expired, I
will not receive those requests. This creates a discontinued service and
bad user experience.

In my opinion, there is too much hassle here ... I would rather go for
something similar to how mailing lists work today, which effectively
means removing requirement 7.

/Miguel

--
Miguel A. Garcia           tel:+358-50-4804586
sip:miguel.an.garcia@openlaboratory.net