Re: [Sipping] SPITSTOP: Requirements for Authorization Policies to tackle Spam for Internet Telephony and Unwanted Traffic

Hannes Tschofenig <Hannes.Tschofenig@gmx.net> Thu, 05 July 2007 08:20 UTC

Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2007 10:20:33 +0200
From: Hannes Tschofenig <Hannes.Tschofenig@gmx.net>
To: eva.leppanen@nsn.com
Subject: Re: [Sipping] SPITSTOP: Requirements for Authorization Policies to tackle Spam for Internet Telephony and Unwanted Traffic
Cc: sipping@ietf.org

Hi Thomas,
Hi Eva,

I have updated the draft based on this discussion. Here is the updated
version:
http://www.tschofenig.priv.at/svn/draft-froment-sipping-spit-authz-policies/draft-froment-sipping-spit-requirements-01.txt

Please find a few minor comments below:

eva.leppanen@nsn.com wrote:
> Hi Hannes and Thomas,
>
> Thanks for you answers. Please see inline (marked with Eva:).
>
> BR, Eva

I have not yet added anything regarding this proposal. I need more time
to figure out how it could work.

>> condition.
>>

>>> This one makes sense to me...
>>>
>> We had this discussion in the context of Common Policy in the past. We
>> initially had an element that referred to "anonymous identities".
>> The problem was just what it actually means.
>>
>> It can mean two things:
>>
>> a) The identity of a particular user was obfuscated by the privacy
>> mechanisms when used together with SIP Identity. Then, you still have
>> the domain you can look at even though the individual user is not
>> identifiable anymore. The existing policies already provide
>> support for
>> this.
>>
>> b) If neither  the username nor the domain name was authenticated then
>> the "anonymous user" is equal to the unauthenticated. This is also
>> provided by the current specification.
>>
>> So, which of the two cases do you have in mind and what additional
>> functionality is needed ?
>>

> Eva: I quess that I ment the option a); the requests that are indicated
> as anonymous would match.
> But, if you see that this is already covered well enough, ok for me.

I have added this requirement since my response was referring to a
solution rather than the requirement itself.
Hence, I believe that the requirement is valid.

>> Additionally, it could

>> applied. (I

>>> I clearly see the use case here but previous version of requirements
>>> draft was "opening the door" to any header value as
>>>
>> condition: I think
>>
>>> this is not the direction right now. Waiting for comments from
>>> Framework authors to decide if this one fit or NOT in the
>>>
>> requirement
>>
>>> draft...
>>>

>> It is true that we might need to provide some form of
>> treatment based on
>> the occurrence of specific fields. We had quite a bit of
>> discussion and
>> disagreement within the group of authors. For me the challenging part
>> was to identify which fields are relevant. Thomas was more in favor of
>> providing an extensively mechanism that allowed you to have something
>> like "function-name" ( "fieldname", "value" ) [if I recall our
>> discussion correctly].
>>

> Eva: After thinking further, maybe the subject field is not that
> important if we think about SPIT.

Nothing added .

>>> Same remark for the default rule which was part of initial draft and
>>> was removed...
>>>
>> We can put the default rule back into the document.

>> I-D, but I did

>> the framework.

>> MAY allow to

>> based on a

>> information."
>> Right. We forgot that.
>>
>> Sphere is nice since it allows you to switch the entire ruleset quite
>> quickly depending on the environment you are in.

Added this requirement

>> condition.
>>
>>> Same remark as for "Subject header"...
>>>
>> That sounds good to me.

Added.

>>> Yes, I agree
>>>
>> I also agree.

Added.

>> We had this discussion in the GEOPRIV working group a couple of years
>> back. Initially this was even part of Common Policy.
>> The problem was just the type of conclusions you could draw from that
>> info. I can see it being useful in certain environment where the end
>> host is not really a user but rather a server that performs different
>> actions based on the type of authentication you performed but for a
>> human I am not so sure whether it makes a big difference whether the
>> other end was authenticated using digest or TLS. It would be more
>> important to know how difficult it was to create the account; this was
>> one of the mechanisms listed in
>> draft-schwartz-sipping-spit-saml-00.txt.
>>

> Eva: Ok for me to leave it out.

Omitted it for the moment.

>>> Section 3.2:

>> notifications"

>> We really need to investigate this as part of the conflict resolution
>> procedure.
>> I, however, believe that this does not need to be described in a
>> requirements draft since this is more or less dependent on the
>> specific
>> solution.
>>

> Eva: on the other hand, this is a matter which is seen by the "end
> user". Namely, which kind of functions are needed from the solution,
> e.g. is there a need to send an additional notification when a request
> gets blocked or forwarded. Of course, technical issues are solved in
> other documents. Anyway, I'll leave the decision to you.

Added a small note.

>> parallel to

>>> Nice feature, but isn't it too complex?
>>> On the question of "other notifications"  I have some
>>>
>> difficulties to
>>
>>> accept designing a system with a non-extensible set of actions...
>>>

> Eva: I was mostly thinking about e.g. SIP MESSAGE or other possible SIP
> specific notifications.

I don't think that these issues belong into the requirements draft. They
are solution specific and we need to deal with them as part of the
conflict resolution mechanism.

>> e.g. filtering

>>> again, was in initial document and voluntarily removed...
>>>
>> SIP does not allow SIP proxies to remove content from the SIP body.
>>

> Eva: ok.

Nothing added.

>>> Actually, hierarchies of policies seems a very complex requirement
>>>
>> I could imagine that it is quite likely that you will have a hierarchy
>> of policies.
>> Consider a company environment. There are policies from the
>> sysadmin and
>> your own policies.

Added a note.

>> Req-G 4: The policies MUST provide a mandatory-to-implement conflict
>> resolution mechanism.
>>
>> This does not relate to the supported capability.
>>
>> There needs to be a way to discover the supported capability.

>>> What is your definition of Rules Makers, do you mean several actors?
>>>
>> RFC 3693 defines these terms.
>>
>> Why do you need multiple rule makers to update the policy?
>>

> Eva: e.g. operator, end user, several devices of the end user.

Is there a specific impact for the policies itself?
To me this rather seems quite loosely coupled to the authorization
policies itself and might be an issue for XCAP.

Ciao
Hannes