Re: [Sipping] [Fwd: I-D Action:draft-york-sipping-p-charge-info-00.txt]

Dan York <dyork@voxeo.com> Tue, 19 February 2008 15:01 UTC

From: Dan York <dyork@voxeo.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 10:00:52 -0500
To: Miguel Garcia <Miguel.Garcia@nsn.com>
Cc: SIPPING LIST <sipping@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Sipping] [Fwd: I-D Action:draft-york-sipping-p-charge-info-00.txt]
Sender: sipping-bounces@ietf.org

Miguel,

Yes, as soon as I saw that we were considering using P-Charge-Info I
went looking around to see if it had been registered with IANA (it
wasn't) and looking at what *was* registered with IANA.  I did see
RFC 3455 (and indeed reference it in my draft) and looked at P-
Charging-Vector. However, P-Charging-Vector is more complicated than
we need.  Undoubtedly P-Charging-Vector works well within the larger
context of 3GPP, but all we want to do is provide a single billing
identifier to the upstream proxies.

What I am really aiming to do with this draft is register an already
existing practice of using the P-Charge-Info P-Header with IANA, as
is required under RFC 3427 (section 4.1).  Sonus Networks is using
this in their switches and has mentioned it to carriers using their
gear.  One of those carriers, who we work with, suggested it as a way
to solve our billing issues.  We're now using it and it's working
fine.  There are now other carriers with whom we are seeking to solve
the same issue and we will probably wind up using the same
solution.    We can obviously just continue to do this in the private
SIP communication between ourselves and the carriers without pursuing
IANA registration, but, being a "standards guy" I would like to "do
the right thing" per RFC 3427 and document/register current usage.  I
would also, frankly, like a document out there to which we can point
when we talk to yet another carrier saying "here's one way of dealing
with billing issues, is that applicable to your network?"

Hannes, thanks for the links. Again, though, all we are doing is
passing along a simple billing identifier.

The -01 draft that I'll get in for Monday will include that
information. (And someone from Sonus Networks has also agreed to co-
author.)

Regards,
Dan

--
Dan York, CISSP, Director of Emerging Communication Technology
Office of the CTO    Voxeo Corporation     dyork@voxeo.com

Bring your web applications to the phone.
Find out how at http://evolution.voxeo.com