RE: [Sipping] Re: I-D ACTION:draft-akhtar-sipping-header-reduction-00.txt

"Dan Wing" <dwing@cisco.com> Tue, 21 March 2006 00:47 UTC

From: Dan Wing <dwing@cisco.com>
To: 'Haseeb Akhtar' <haseebak@nortel.com>, sipping@ietf.org
Subject: RE: [Sipping] Re: I-D ACTION:draft-akhtar-sipping-header-reduction-00.txt
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2006 16:47:01 -0800
Cc: 'Dave Brombal' <davidb@nortel.com>, 'Thomas Barkel' <tbarkel@nortel.com>, 'Anthony Jones' <ajones@nortel.com>

Haseeb,

I recently noticed your I-D and found this thread that
discussed several points.  I'm hoping to get clarification
on-list or in SIPPING.

Your draft is doing both compression and some 'policing' functions,
specifically it is policing the 'c=' line from the client by deleting
it if present.  This gives me some concerns especially around ICE and
especially around IPv6 migration.  While wireless devices, today, are
thought of by 3GPP as monolithic, there is a desire to have NAT
devices which integrate wireless cards for their network access link.

I am also concerned the draft seems to impose restrictions on the
From: address.  I admit to not fully grasping the reasons behind this,
but it appears to be another policing function to prevent a user from
spoofing another user.

P-Contact-List-Location seems to configure the UA.  I'm unclear how
this relates to header reduction.  Others in section 4 brought the
same question to mind (P-Encode-Security which appears to enumerate
3GPP security options, but I'm not sure if this is trying to tell the
handset which to use for this network or what).

I found it interesting that you published a sigcomp dictionary because
the other question I had as reviewing
akhtar-sipping-header-reduction-00 is that much of its compression
seems solvable by changing sigcomp.  For example, it seems valuable
for sigcomp to help compress things like "my own IP address" and "my
>From address", as they occur often in SIP and SDP, so I was surprised
you chose to create a new layer of compression between the SIP
application and SigComp rather than extending SigComp to do this
compression.

-d