Re: [Sipping] Unofficial communication from ITU-T on T.38

Allison Mankin <mankin@isi.edu> Thu, 14 March 2002 21:27 UTC

To: Glenn Parsons <gparsons@nortelnetworks.com>, tom.geary@conexant.com
Cc: sipping@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Sipping] Unofficial communication from ITU-T on T.38
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 16:05:52 -0500
From: Allison Mankin <mankin@isi.edu>
Sender: sipping-admin@ietf.org

Glenn,

I did not see any sign of the communication officially yet,
but it should be sent to iesg-secretary@ietf.org and/or Scott
Bradner for the official channel.

It's good to see it unofficially (IETF-style) so I can address
two points quickly:

> Note, however,
> that the addition of the image/t38 MIME type is still in process as it
> requires the approval of an RFC documenting the registration  (see
> draft-parsons-itu-t38-reg-00.txt ).

The i-d appears to be quite complete.  I think it would be
reasonable to do the IETF review process for it now, including
posting for a review on the ietf-types list and in parallel starting a
4-week IETF Last Call, which is needed for standards track
documents when they are not working group documents.   A MIME type
would normally be a Proposed Standard rather than BCP.

> Q.14/16 would like to suggest adding the call flows of this Internet Draft
> to Rec. T.38.  Unfortunately, the ITU-T process will not allow the
> referencing of a non-=8CStandards Track=B9 IETF RFC in an ITU-T Recommendation.
> As a result, we would suggest referencing this document in a future
> informative Appendix to Rec. T.38 (similar to the current Appendix
> describing H.248 call flows).

The Chairs and ADs have recently changed the plan for the I-D so
it will be standards track, a BCP, as can be seen on the charter page.
Facilitating the collaboration with ITU-T was one of the reasons.

Allison
Area Director for SIPPING