Re: [Sipping] query on draft-ietf-sipping-dialogusage-06

Robert Sparks <rjsparks@nostrum.com> Tue, 19 June 2007 13:44 UTC

From: Robert Sparks <rjsparks@nostrum.com>
Subject: Re: [Sipping] query on draft-ietf-sipping-dialogusage-06
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2007 08:44:06 -0500
To: Malleswara Rao Ankem <malleshavn@gmail.com>
Cc: sipping@ietf.org

You need to read section 5.2 more carefully - a 408 affects only the
transaction by itself.

Some usages will be terminated if a transaction inside them receives
a 408 (3261 says
to send a BYE in an INVITE created dialog).

And remember that the far UA being completely gone is only one way
you could end up with a 408.
You could have a proxy that has (for instance) a hard time dealing
with some particular SUBSCRIBE
refresh request but would pass an re-INVITE on that same dialog along
just fine. The UA itself may
be failing in a similar fashion.

So, when we discussed this, we determined that the safest thing to
specify was that the usages came
down independently.

RjS