RE: [Sipping] SIP-AAA Requirements (fwd)

john.loughney@nokia.com Thu, 02 May 2002 18:11 UTC

From: john.loughney@nokia.com
Subject: RE: [Sipping] SIP-AAA Requirements (fwd)
Date: Thu, 02 May 2002 07:17:16 +0300
To: Henry.Sinnreich@wcom.com, rohan@cisco.com, sipping@ietf.org, mobile-ip@sunroof.eng.sun.com
Cc: Gonzalo.Camarillo@lmf.ericsson.se, Pat.Calhoun@eng.sun.com, charliep@iprg.nokia.com, C.T.A.M.deLaat@phys.uu.nl, jrv@merit.edu
Sender: sipping-admin@ietf.org

Hi Henry,

> As 3GPP, 3GPP2 and 802.11 wireless networks are poised to use both SIP
> and Mobile IP, one cannot help notice there seems to be a lot
> commonality between:
>
> 1-SIP AAA requirements
> http://www-nrc.nokia.com/sua/draft-loughney-sip-aaa-req-00.txt
>
> 2-3GPP Requirements on SIP
> http://ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-garcia-sipping-3gpp-reqs-03.txt
>
> 3-and most of all, Mobile IP AAA Requirements, RFC 2977
> ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc2977.txt
>
> The mobile IP WG
> http://ietf.org/html.charters/mobileip-charter.html has
> actually covered a lot of groundwork, where it may make sense to avoid
> duplication, such as for example for AAA Registration Keys
> http://ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-mobileip-aaa-key-09.txt

My comment would be that perhaps there are not many ways to skin a cat.

> One more item that the Mobile IP WG has successfully solved is the
> separation of specific AAA solutions such as RADIUS, DIAMETER or XML web
> services from the mobile IP protocol itself. It is not for the SIPPING
> WG to pick winners and losers in AAA solutions and promote one or
> another, as has been discussed.

Yes, that is why I was asked to work on the requirements, coming from
the AAA WG.  What is needed from SIPPING is to see what needs
SIP has, and I would appreciate feedback related to this.  From the AAA
WG view point (& IESG viewpoint, I believe) is that RADIUS is not
sufficient and there are well know deficiencies with RADIUS that
make further deployment problematic.  The ongoing Diameter work is
attempting to make AAA work for the Internet, which SIP is part of.

> We should try to avoid coming up with several different/incompatible
> infrastructures, multiple logons and general annoyance from
> duplication of work. Or have the IESG step in to make order.

This is very important.  This is part of the exersize with regards
to SIP - we need to make sure the real requirements of SIP are covered.

> I believe the SIPPING Mobile IP and AAAarch IP folks should talk to each
> other during the WG discussions or maybe possibly at a Bar BOF. I have
> taken therefore the liberty to copy the Mobile IP and AAAarch lists.

I think that solutions for SIP-AAA need not overlap, but be re-used.  If
one solution can fufill 2 requirements, that solution seems quite ideal,
IMO.  Anyhow, I think the more immediate need would be to generate some
discussion on the draft, and see what has been left out.

thanks,
John