RE: [Sipping] Call transfer on a forked call

Kapil Nayar <kapilnayar@yahoo.com> Wed, 06 December 2006 23:54 UTC

Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2006 23:54:11 +0000
From: Kapil Nayar <kapilnayar@yahoo.com>
Subject: RE: [Sipping] Call transfer on a forked call
To: Brett Tate <brett@broadsoft.com>, sipping@ietf.org

Hi Brett

You are right in stating that the scenario violates
the existing RFCs, 3891 for one.
In fact, if I read the archives correctly, the earlier
drafts (draft-ietf-sip-replaces-02.txt)leading to RFC
3891 indeed allowed the target to replace the
early-dialog irrespective of the dialog initiation
(target could be UAC or UAS). The draft was reworded
in Mar'03 to limit this usage only on UACs - in order
to avoid the race conditions due to forking if the
target is a UAS.

In my view the RFC was finalized based on the present
day Use Cases. Probably, the authors did not have had
the compulsion to explore further Use Cases at that
time.

And, this is the reason for my seeking a clarification
at this time.

Thanks,
Kapil