RE: [Sipping] Sip Performance Metrics: Average Hops per INVITE (AHI)and Average Hops per Session (AHS)

Daryl Malas <dmalas@level3.net> Thu, 22 June 2006 17:09 UTC

Subject: RE: [Sipping] Sip Performance Metrics: Average Hops per INVITE (AHI)and Average Hops per Session (AHS)
From: Daryl Malas <dmalas@level3.net>
To: "Uzelac, Adam" <Adam.Uzelac@globalcrossing.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 11:08:27 -0600
Cc: sipping@ietf.org

Adam,

I know there have been various items within the working group to detect
route loops, such as the draft you described below.  I think of the
number of 483's as a fault, based on a predefined threshold.  IRT, ISO
FCAPS, the difference lies in a Fault condition versus a Performance
metric.  My draft is attempting to define Performance metrics, instead
of detecting faults...that being said, you could predict or detect a
potential fault based on evaluating the output from a performance
metric. ;-)

Thanks...--Daryl