RE: [Sipping] SIP Subscription for SCADA/Stock quotes

"Brian Stucker" <bstucker@nortel.com> Mon, 20 November 2006 16:37 UTC

Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 10:37:02 -0600
From: Brian Stucker <bstucker@nortel.com>
To: Samir Srivastava <samirsr@nortel.com>, Benjamin Carlyle <benjamincarlyle@optusnet.com.au>, sipping@ietf.org

Samir,

See below.

I think Adam already responded to this, and I happen to agree with his
response.

> >The point of that statement in 3265 and elsewhere is not to
> >limit the URL schemes that can be used, but to point out that
> >there are many ways of pushing data around a network. The
> >intent of the framework wasn't to solve
> >world-event-subscription-hunger. There was a lot of discussion
> >at the time around using (PUBLISH in particular) for all sorts
> >of things and we wanted to constrain the problem space so we
> >could finish off the RFC sometime in our lifetime.
>
> I am not asking world-event-hunger to be fullfilled with this
> like X-Motif/JDK event models etc. I am asking only the
> presence framework to extend....

Presence framework to extend what?

[SNIP]

> As per Section 11 of 3261
>    "An OPTIONS request MAY be sent as part of an established dialog to
>    query the peer on capabilities that may be utilized later in the
>    dialog."
>
> OPTIONS does allow the Allow-Event header etc. There may be
> sometime need for a SIP entity to find the state of subscirbe
> created dialog on another end, there it will be useful. (Like
> missing NOTIFY with state change delta) State indication can
> be event package specific. 200 OK with subscription event
> state tells the querying endpoint what is happening. If event
> state is currently not supported, then protocol might need to
> extend. Other response codes can be viewed differently.. I
> was coining it as he was asking for server driven. I don't
> understand completely his problem requirements as of now.

OPTIONS is not intended to carry information that can change over time.
SUBSCRIBE/NOTIFY does this. The protocol has already been extended, and
it does not use OPTIONS. See RFC-3857.

> >IMHO- The best way to solve the dead server problem is to have
> >neither end generating keep-alive traffic (which, in an ideal
> >environment in which no node fails, is always useless). Solve
> >the problem at the server by utilizing a high-availability
> >scheme there so that a server failure does not interrupt service.
> >

> Refer my long time back proposal on the list for the Event
> based heart beat
>
> http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/sip/current/msg08844.htm
l This was to avoid the  periodic OPTIONS messages flow when > other
server was down to avoid congestion etc.. I was just
> scratching the congestion at that time...
>
> Somewhere at the IP layer when packet is sent, it needs to
> know which IP server should fill. VRRP just talks about the
> IP layer connectivity. Can you describe your scheme...

My point here is that within this application, heartbeating between
clients and servers to solve an issue of server availability is a bad
model. Use a high-availability scheme between the servers so that they
can take over for one another. Nothing special happens at the clients.

[SNIP]

> There were some postings on the HTTP Digest being prone to
> brute force attacks.
> BTW, I worked earlier in different event based/driven systems
> too. When I have more free time, I will start looking into this.

Please do.