Re: [Sipping] User Preferred Contact Address

Paul Kyzivat <pkyzivat@cisco.com> Tue, 19 July 2005 22:27 UTC

Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 18:27:16 -0400
From: Paul Kyzivat <pkyzivat@cisco.com>
To: Aisling O'Driscoll <ashling.odriscoll@cit.ie>
Subject: Re: [Sipping] User Preferred Contact Address
Cc: sipping@ietf.org
Sender: sipping-bounces@ietf.org

Aisling,

Similar things have been discussed recently. (See
draft-jennings-sipping-instance-id-01.txt) To identify particular
endpoints uniquely, the +sip.instance feature tag has been proposed. It
isn't especially user-friendly but it is unique.

You could define, somewhere, a mapping between sip.instance values and
user-friendly names.

You could also define a different feature tag for the express purpose of
providing a friendly name for a contact, but then you run the risk of it
not being unique, and of requiring a way to provision the device with
the value.

	Paul