Re: [Sipping] Details on SBC

"James M. Polk" <jmpolk@cisco.com> Fri, 06 May 2005 23:45 UTC

Date: Fri, 06 May 2005 18:45:20 -0500
To: Samir Chatterjee <Samir.Chatterjee@cgu.edu>, sipping@ietf.org
From: "James M. Polk" <jmpolk@cisco.com>
Subject: Re: [Sipping] Details on SBC
Sender: sipping-bounces@ietf.org

At 03:37 PM 5/6/2005 -0700, Samir Chatterjee wrote:
>Hi:
>
>We are looking for some details on SBC and how they work in terms of call
>flows etc. Any pointers?

SIP is a peer-to-peer protocol with defined elements (UA, UAC, UAS, Proxy,
Registrar, etc); an "SBC" is not one of them.

SBC - as in "Session Border Controller" - is a marketing term.

There was a ADHOC BoF at the November (2004) IETF to discuss the
requirements for SBC - to see if there were sufficient interest and
sufficiently different requirements on the SIP protocol that energy ought
to be spent doing a proper gap analysis for those requirements and openly
discuss in the SIPPING WG what should be done about those gaps. There are
two individual IDs discussing the requirements for SBCs in SIP as a result
of this BoF:

draft-camarillo-sipping-sbc-funcs-00.txt
draft-bhatia-sipping-sbc-00

Both IDs were discussed at the last IETF meeting (March 05) in Minneapolis
for a total of 10 minutes. I don't remember anything especially important
coming out of those discussions. The notes of the meeting state the two IDs
will be merged into one for the next meeting.

One of the problems I see (from my point of view) is the current plethora
of definitions for what an SBC is and what an SBC should do/accomplish. It
appeared to me in the BoF that nearly everyone in the room had a differing
opinion on this one question - so there was not much progress that night.

An SBC can be as simple as a SIP Proxy (RFC 3261) with various levels of
state maintained per session and/or per dialog. These various levels are
attributed to the differing definitions for what an SBC is to do.

- Some wanted NAT traversal to be solved by SBCs..
- Some wanted IPv4 to IPv6 conversion to be solved by SBCs...
- Some wanted SBCs to be what some of us thought was defined as a Middlebox
from the MIDCOM WG efforts (that weren't too successful)...
- Some wanted SBCs to terminate media streams and regenerate those streams
out the other side of the SBC for control and privacy purposes...
- Some wanted SBCs to terminate encrypted media flows on one side of the
SBC and initiate new encrypted corresponding ones on the other side of the
SBC for control and privacy purposes...
- Some thought an SBC could solve an administrative domain's QoS issues for
voice and video traffic...

The message types in the messages flows you seek will be highly dependent
on what you want an SBC to accomplish from the list above (and other items
not on this list).

Question to you - what combination of functions do you want an SBC to
accomplish?

 From that or from those functions - you ought to be able to build the
flows if you know SIP.

>Dr. Samir Chatterjee
>Founding Director, NCL http://ncl.cgu.edu
>School of Information Science
>Claremont Graduate University
>130 East 9th Street
>Claremont, CA 91711
>(P) 909-607-4651
>(F) 909-621-8564
>
>http://fac.cgu.edu/~chatters

>This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
>Use sip-implementors@cs.columbia.edu for questions on current sip
>Use sip@ietf.org for new developments of core SIP

cheers,
James