RE: [Sipping] updated sip-spam I-D

"David" <david@kayote.com> Mon, 25 October 2004 13:43 UTC

From: David <david@kayote.com>
To: 'Jonathan Rosenberg' <jdrosen@dynamicsoft.com>, 'sipping' <sipping@ietf.org>
Subject: RE: [Sipping] updated sip-spam I-D
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 15:43:17 +0200
Sender: sipping-bounces@ietf.org

Hi Jonathan.

It would appear to me that the consent models are being derived from both
email and IM and as such have a yes/no criteria for acceptance or rejection
of messages. Person X can either contact me or not.

Why not explore a more web like model where pages are classified into zones
vis-à-vis security. In this implementation, a user defines the security
policy of his browser (e.g. accepting cookies etc,) and can then browse
unhindered in "secure"
zones while being prompted in suspicious ones.

In applying this to voice, let's introduce levels of trust (similar to the
reputation score you mention) using some sort of tag (perhaps attached to
the Asserted ID). The callee would then be able to custom define his
preferences in the end device based on these levels - each end user is
empowered to set his own policy regarding spam or other security related
issues. The level can be set high for calls with certificate asserted IDs,
lower for calls coming from trusted zones, lower still for untrusted
callers, and lowest for spam or other security violations. Security level
screening can be implemented either at some downstream proxy or at the UA.

As an example, in the case of voice spam a user can decide that any call
with security level 1 (not verified) should be automatically blocked, calls
with level 2 (bad reputation or few praises) should be automatically sent to
voice mail, calls with level 3 (so so reputation or positive reputation)
could be sent a Turing test and calls with level 4 could be automatically
accepted (white list). The value of making this decision in the end device
is that the user could then take advantage of phone features such as for
example, different rings for the varying levels of security.

David Schwartz

---