RE: [Sipping] New Service Examples I-D

"Steve Fisher" <steve_fisher@yahoo.com> Thu, 08 August 2002 13:25 UTC

From: Steve Fisher <steve_fisher@yahoo.com>
To: 'Adam Roach' <adam@dynamicsoft.com>, "'Avella, Alejandro'" <AAvella@carrieraccess.com>, 'Alan Johnston' <alan.johnston@wcom.com>, sipping@ietf.org
Subject: RE: [Sipping] New Service Examples I-D
Date: Thu, 08 Aug 2002 09:18:17 -0400
Sender: sipping-admin@ietf.org

Adam,

While I agree with you for the most part, in that SIP clearly is not a
stimulus protocol like MGCP and thus relies on the UA to provide much of
the functionality, I'm not sure some of these features can be dismissed
so easily. Behind your answers there appear to be a couple of
assumptions:

1) Each SIP address maps to a single device, and not to a user who may
have multiple devices.

2) This device is always on.

Consider, for example, Call Return (*69 in the PSTN). While SIP
terminals may of course very easily implement a version of this feature
by simply keeping a call log and calling back the last INVITE received,
consider the following cases:

1) When the last person called, no terminals were registered.

2) When the last person called, a terminal was registered (say, in the
home), but not the terminal that the intended recipient is actually
using (say, a laptop or mobile phone).

In both of these cases there might be value in a network-based Call
Return feature that would enable the intended recipient place a return
call using any device. On rich clients this could be implemented, for
example, using a call log in a web browser, while on dumb terminals this
could be implemented by *69. In either case, the recipient can now
easily call the last caller back, while if the feature had been
implemented only in the terminal, that would not be the case.

As another example, consider Facilitated Calling - Redial (*66 in the
PSTN). Again, if the user only has one terminal this can easily be
implemented by the terminal continually retrying the number. Consider,
however, if the caller originally placed the call from one terminal
(say, at home), and then left home, a terminal based solution would be
of no help. If Redial was implemented in the network, however, and the
caller had two terminals registered, then the feature would still have
value, since the caller could be connected via this second terminal
(say, a mobile phone).

Since in my view one of the primary benefits of SIP is its ability to
allow addresses to be associated with users, rather than devices, and to
allow any number of devices to be dynamically bound to that address, I
thought it might be worth pointing out that in some cases this ability
limits the value of features implemented solely by the terminal.

Steve