Re: [sixpac] Capability and preference expression and interrogation

Joe Hildebrand <joe.hildebrand@webex.com> Mon, 07 March 2011 13:54 UTC

Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2011 06:56:07 -0700
From: Joe Hildebrand <joe.hildebrand@webex.com>
To: Gunnar Hellström <gunnar.hellstrom@omnitor.se>, sixpac@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [sixpac] Capability and preference expression and interrogation

In XMPP, this sort of thing is done with XEP-115
(http://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0115.html).  It's end-to-end, and is borne
as a part of the presence of a device.  115 usually takes folks a while to
get used to, so please set aside the time to do more than skim.

On 3/7/11 12:40 AM, "Gunnar Hellström" <gunnar.hellstrom@omnitor.se> wrote:

> The requirement to express the capability of XMPP messaging in SIP
described
> below also may need  an extension for declaration of
capability
> details.

REQ-y: Negotiable features  in XMPP must be possible to express and

interrogate at SIP Session establishment level.

Use case:  Alice want to
> send a nice HTML-formatted invitation letter to
Bob. She wonders if she can
> do it in a SIP session with messaging
enabled. Therefore, when she calls Bob,
> she indicates a desire to use
Rich formatted messages. The resonse shows that
> Bob has no capability
for such features, so Alice decides to send an e-mail
> instead and
discuss it in a plain vice phone
> call.

Gunnar