Re: [Smart] Future of SMART

Henry Story <henry.story@co-operating.systems> Thu, 06 June 2019 10:25 UTC

From: Henry Story <henry.story@co-operating.systems>
Date: Thu, 06 Jun 2019 12:24:52 +0200
Cc: "smart@irtf.org" <smart@irtf.org>
To: Kirsty P <Kirsty.p=40ncsc.gov.uk@dmarc.ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Smart] Future of SMART

I am sorry I could not attend the Prague summit, for the simple reason that I
just have used up all my savings, and was working hard to finish my 2nd year
PhD report which had to be returned on April 1st. I am happy to say it passed.
But I am out of funds.

The part of the thesis relevant to this group comes from a geopolitical observation
that what is missing on the web (and internet) are ways for people to recognise
institutions. In real life we recognize these because these come with buildings
that cannot be built overnight or faked. They are in full public view. On the internet
on the other hand it is easy to do both.

To add that feature to the internet we need an institutional web of trust,
that allows citizens to recognize their institutions (universities, companies,
governments, health, etc…) and those of other countries related by diplomatic
links to their own.

I gave an outline of how that could work here
"Stopping (https) phishing"
https://medium.com/cybersoton/stopping-https-phishing-42226ca9e7d9

and showed how the same logic used by Abadi for distributed security
could be used for thinking about user interfaces

"Phishing in Context — Epistemology of the screen"
https://medium.com/cybersoton/phishing-in-context-9c84ca451314

If people are interested in helping further work on this please let me know.
It requires both thinking of the internet as in terms of geopolitics, security,
institutions, semantics (and so the semantic web) and insitutions.

This requires one to bring some very different fields together,
and some of them appear in mathematical dual spaces. For example the IETF
works mostly with Protocols, which are coalgebraic, and the W3C with data
that are algebraic. In the thesis I even detail how this distinction created
misunderstandings within the semantic web and linked data community, which
is rather more closely knit.

Anyway, I am up for helping on these projects for anyone with funds.

Sincerely,

	Henry Story