Re: WG LAST CALL: draft-ietf-smime-rfc2633bis-07.txt

"Sean P. Turner" <turners@ieca.com> Fri, 26 March 2004 16:27 UTC

Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 10:59:03 -0500
From: "Sean P. Turner" <turners@ieca.com>
To: Blake Ramsdell <blake@brutesquadlabs.com>
CC: ietf-smime@imc.org
Subject: Re: WG LAST CALL: draft-ietf-smime-rfc2633bis-07.txt
Sender: owner-ietf-smime@mail.imc.org

Comments inline

...snip

>Para 3.1, 2nd para 1st sentence: Replace "The MIME entity that is
>secured and ..." with "The MIME entity that is secured or compressed and
>..."
>
>[bcr] Nope. We're going with "secured" here until someone comes up with
>a concise word that means "signed or encrypted or compressed".

[spt] How about having "signed or encrypted or compressed (s/e/c)" in
the 1st instance and then repeating "s/e/c" after that?

>Para 3.1, 4th para 1st sentence: Replace "A single procedure is used for
>creating MIME entities that are to be signed, enveloped, or both signed
>and enveloped" with "A single procedure is used for creating MIME
>entities that are to be signed, enveloped, compressed and both signed
>and enveloped, signed and compressed, compressed and enveloped, and
>compressed, signed, and enveloped, etc." (or whatever # of combinations
>you feel like listing)
>
>[bcr] A single procedure is used for creating MIME entities that are to
>have any combination of signing, enveloping and compressing applied.

[spt] Did you change it to say that?

>Para 3.1, 4th para 3rd sentence: Replace "It is recommended that these
>additional steps be performed on enveloped messages, or signed and
>enveloped messages" with "It is recommended that these additional steps
>be performed on enveloped and compressed messages, or signed and
>enveloped messages or compressed, signed and enveloped messages."
>
>[bcr] I'm not even sure what the spirit of this guidance is. No change
>-- either suggest less awkward language or help me figure out what the
>spirit of this is.

[spt] I was just trying to be complete and list all the times the steps
should be taken.  Comment was in line with the above three.

>Para 3.1, 1st para after Step 3: Replace "the security services on the
>message are processed" with "the security services or compression on the
>message are processed"
>
>[bcr] See previous discussion about "secured"

[spt] As long as we do it the same way.

Cheer - spt