RE: AES and PKCS #1 v1.5 Issue

"Jim Schaad" <jimsch@nwlink.com> Fri, 02 August 2002 07:43 UTC

From: Jim Schaad <jimsch@nwlink.com>
To: 'Blake Ramsdell' <blake@brutesquadlabs.com>
Cc: ietf-smime@imc.org
Subject: RE: AES and PKCS #1 v1.5 Issue
Date: Fri, 02 Aug 2002 00:28:12 -0700
Sender: owner-ietf-smime@mail.imc.org

Blake,

First, I would argue that the language to deal with this in MSG must be
considered to be extranious and could be removed altogether as far as I
am concerned.  Any argument based on it's presense in MSG is S/MIME
based on CMS based.

Second, CMS currently does not have any restrictions in RFC 2630 or its
follow on about algorithms.  This is by design and I still feel is
proper.

Third, we cannot suddenly outlaw PKCS #1 v1.5 without doing great harm
to the current community.  [Side note, I think that outlawing MD2 would
not cause great harm but that is a different problem.]  I don't have any
reason to believe that 3DES, RC2 and other algorithms of the same
general strength need to have a prohibition on v1.5 as they are the
current set of standards and we don't have an easy attack based on the
current uses.

Fourth, with the introduction of AES we are, in theory, bumping up the
level of difficulty in dealing with content encryption algorithms and
should fix any known key transport problems at the same time.  This is
what I have attempted to do.

Last,  I would be happy to move this language to CMSALG, but am unclear
as to how it should be phrased.  You MUST only use with the following
content encryption algoriths?  This would mean that either the list
would need to be exhaustive (3DES, RC2, CAST-128, IDEA,...) and these
standards would all need to be either informational or moved up the
standards track.  Or it would be small (3DES and RC2) and all of the
other algorithms would need to be re-issued saying, and me too.  But
this also violates your sense of purity.   I am unable to come up with a
good way to specify this without putting it into the AES draft and I
feel strongly that this needs to be specified.

Jim