Protocol Action: Cryptographic Message Syntax to Proposed Standard

The IESG <iesg-secretary@ietf.org> Wed, 26 June 2002 19:41 UTC

To: IETF-Announce:;
Cc: RFC Editor <rfc-editor@isi.edu>, Internet Architecture Board <iab@isi.edu>, ietf-smime@imc.org
From: The IESG <iesg-secretary@ietf.org>
Subject: Protocol Action: Cryptographic Message Syntax to Proposed Standard
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2002 15:20:41 -0400
Sender: owner-ietf-smime@mail.imc.org

The IESG has approved publication of the following Internet-Drafts as
Proposed Standards:

 o Cryptographic Message Syntax
	<draft-ietf-smime-rfc2630bis-08.txt>
 o Cryptographic Message Syntax (CMS) Algorithms
	<draft-ietf-smime-cmsalg-08.txt>

These documents are the product of the S/MIME Mail Security Working
Group.  The IESG contact persons are Jeffrey Schiller and Steve
Bellovin.

Technical Summary

  These documents constitute a revision to an existing RFC, RFC2630.
  These documents obsolate RFC3211, by merging it in to the main
  specification.  Specific algorithms that were previously specified in the
  main CMS document are now moved to a separate CMSALG document.

Working Group Summary

 There was concensus on this document set.  Minor issues arose during
 LAST CALL, which caused both RFC2630bis and CMSALG to be updated
 slightly.

Protocol Quality

 The documents have been reviewed for the IESG by Marcus Leech.