RE: Comments on draft-ietf-smime-rfc2630bis-03

"Jim Schaad" <jimsch@nwlink.com> Tue, 02 October 2001 09:01 UTC

From: Jim Schaad <jimsch@nwlink.com>
To: "'Pawling, John'" <John.Pawling@GetronicsGov.com>, "'Housley, Russ'" <rhousley@rsasecurity.com>
Cc: ietf-smime@imc.org
Subject: RE: Comments on draft-ietf-smime-rfc2630bis-03
Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2001 01:32:47 -0700
Sender: owner-ietf-smime@mail.imc.org

John,

I re-examined this and I agree that you are correct and that the
language in the updated draft is correct.

Interestingly, I now understand the reason that all new content infos
are required to NOT start with a CHOICE.  Specifically the tag
representing the choice is not covered by the signature and thus is open
to changing under the PKCS#7 rules (but not under the updated CMS
rules).

I don't know that there are any advantages to removing the requirement
from the updated CMS draft, but it is certainly no longer needed as the
byte is now covered by the signature (and is one less odd ball statement
to have around).

jim