RE: Certs-only Mechanism for X.400 Transport

"Blake Ramsdell" <blaker@tumbleweed.com> Wed, 28 February 2001 21:10 UTC

From: Blake Ramsdell <blaker@tumbleweed.com>
To: 'Russ Housley' <housley@spyrus.com>, William Ottaway <w.ottaway@eris.dera.gov.uk>
cc: "Bonatti, Chris" <BonattiC@ieca.com>, jimsch@exmsft.com, ietf-smime@imc.org
Subject: RE: Certs-only Mechanism for X.400 Transport
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 12:36:13 -0800
Sender: owner-ietf-smime@mail.imc.org

Section 3.6 currently reads (sorry if it wraps)

> 3.6 Creating a Certificates-only Message
>
>    The certificates only message or MIME entity is used to transport
>    certificates, such as in response to a registration request. This
>    format can also be used to convey CRLs.
>
>    Step 1. The certificates are made available to the CMS generating
>    process which creates a CMS object of type signedData. The signedData
>    encapContentInfo eContent field MUST be absent and signerInfos field
>    MUST be empty.
>
>    Step 2. The CMS signedData object is enclosed in an
>    application/pkcs7-mime MIME entity
>
>    The smime-type parameter for a certs-only message is "certs-only".
>    The file extension for this type of message is ".p7c".

These steps are valid for sending CRLs also, if that is ambiguous.  Step 1
can be modified to read "The certificates and/or CRLs".  Pushing CRLs
through a CMS message is a valid idea (at least I think so), and in fact we
do it for our own product (we chase down CRLs and package thm in CMS
messages).

Blake