Re: [Sml] SML BoF / pEp Use Cases

Bernie Hoeneisen <bernie@ietf.hoeneisen.ch> Sat, 25 March 2023 10:17 UTC

Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2023 11:16:54 +0100
From: Bernie Hoeneisen <bernie@ietf.hoeneisen.ch>
To: Hans-Joerg Happel <happel@audriga.com>
cc: sml@ietf.org, "Hernâni Marques (p≡p foundation)" <hernani.marques@pep.foundation>
Subject: Re: [Sml] SML BoF / pEp Use Cases

Hi Jörg

Thanks for your response

On Sat, 25 Mar 2023, Hans-Joerg Happel wrote:

> I did not yet have time to dig too deeply into the documents you reference,
> but the things you mention could certainly be use cases of structured email.
>
> Would you like to present some slides at the BoF on Tuesday?

Sure. Unfortunately, I am unable to attend the SML BoF in Yokohama (due to
IETF imposed restrictions for IETF-116). However, my collegue Hernani (in
CC) is on site and would do the presentation.

Would a 15min slot during the BoF be feasible to present these use cases?

> ps.: I esp. tried to grasp the details of key sychronization (2), but failed
> to find at which of the process steps (email) messages are used by now. In
> particular, how do you "address" the different devices in case they are all
> using the same email account?

In short: The pEp KeySync protocol for email uses the (IMAP-)INBOX as a
common channel among the clients to exchange "technical" information. The
sending pEp email devices add structured emails messages to the INBOX,
where those are read from and processed by the receiving devices. (These
structured email messages expire after some time.) Such structured email
messages contain information (e.g. to identify the related transaction)
for the receiving devices to decide whether or not to process or ignore
those.

> Beyond that: are there implementations of (1-3) already, and how do they work
> by now

Yes, all these use cases are implemented for several years already.
Please find more information on:

   https://pep.foundation/pEp-software/

All our implmementations are open source. The reference implementation
(pEp Engine), you can find on:

   https://gitea.pep.foundation/pEp.foundation/pEpEngine

cheers
  Bernie