Re: On Rationale & Modular Documents

Einar Stefferud <Stef@nma.com> Sun, 25 October 1992 22:37 UTC

To: John C Klensin <KLENSIN@infoods.mit.edu>
Cc: ietf-smtp@dimacs.rutgers.edu
Subject: Re: On Rationale & Modular Documents
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.NRI.Reston.VA.US
From: Einar Stefferud <Stef@nma.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Oct 1992 14:00:27 -0800

Hello John -- my summation of your 1-5 + 6 proposal is that this is
not much different from what we have been developing, and thus it well
enough fits the mold, with one major exception.

I do not see the value of, or purpose of, the new Chapter 1 to be made
out of the Introduction and Framework sections of the latest version
of draft-rose-extensions-05.txt.

At the most, it amounts to one or two pages of text, and by making it
a separate chapter, with references and all, would save less than two
pages of text in the full set of three.  Some of it still need to be
repeated.

Frankly, I see no problem with the repetition of this introductory and
framework text in each chapter, since these chapters are going to be
separate RFCs in any case.

So, to expedite, I propose that we add whatever very small amount of
text is needed to make draft-rose-extensions-05.txt. into Chapter 1,
including the extensions specification, and get on with it.

Chapt 1:	draft-rose-extensions-05.txt.		(latest)
Chapt 2:	draft-rose-8bit-03.txt			(latest)
Chapt 3:	draft-moore-extension-size-02.txt	(new version due)

I agree to separating work on these from the rest, which can follow.

Julian's draft is a fine place to start work on Chapter 4.  I am sure
that Julian did not wish to suggest that his draft is anywhere near
final.  As best I can tell, it has not received much editorial
comment, so it remains just a proposed initial point of departure,
all-be-it, a very good one as first draft approximations often go.

Best...\Stef