new size internet draft available soon

Keith Moore <moore@cs.utk.edu> Mon, 05 October 1992 20:58 UTC

To: ietf-smtp@dimacs.rutgers.edu
Subject: new size internet draft available soon
Cc: moore@cs.utk.edu
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.NRI.Reston.VA.US
From: Keith Moore <moore@cs.utk.edu>
Date: Mon, 05 Oct 1992 16:21:30 -0400

I just sent off a new version of the internet-draft describing the message
size declaration extension for SMTP.  Change since the last draft:

* The server can now optionally declare the maximum message size that it
  will accept as part of its EHLO response.  A "minimal" client can simply
  compare this value with its estimate of the actual message size (however
  precise it wants to be) and determine whether the message is larger than
  the server's absolute maximum.

* A server is permitted to accept messages that are larger than the client's
  declared message size (but it doesn't have to do so).  A client may
  therefore use a size estimation heuristic that occasionally underestimates
  the message size, and transmit that estimated size to the server in
  the extended MAIL command, without actually violating the protocol.

* The terms "sender-SMTP" and "receiver-SMTP" have been replaced by
  "client" and "server", for better consistency with newer documents,
  e.g. RFC 1123, and with the other service extension proposals.

* Hopefully the whole draft is easier to read and understand.

An identical copy of the draft I submitted to the internet drafts repository
can be obtained via anonymous ftp using the following external document
reference, (or by hand if you don't have MIME yet).

Keith

#@text/plain; charset=us-ascii [] access-type=anon-ftp; \
 name="draft-moore-extension-size-02.txt" ;\
 directory="pub/moore" ;\
 site="cs.utk.edu"