Re: SNMP MUX, SNMP DPI, et al

"James R." (Chuck)Davin <jrd@allspice.lcs.mit.edu> Fri, 12 July 1991 22:14 UTC

From: "James R. Davin" <jrd@allspice.lcs.mit.edu>
To: Unnikrishnan Warrier <unni@cs.ucla.edu>
Cc: snmp-wg@nisc.nyser.net
Subject: Re: SNMP MUX, SNMP DPI, et al
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 1991 15:44:25 -0400
Sender: jrd@allspice.lcs.mit.edu

Unni, you may find ietf-draft-snmpsec-admin-00.txt helpful.

Date: Fri, 12 Jul 91 12:13:36 -0700
>From: unni@cs.ucla.edu (Unnikrishnan Warrier)
To: snmp-wg@nisc.nyser.net
Subject: SNMP MUX, SNMP DPI, et al

Hi:

I am in the process of specifying my own agent variables for systems management
(under Unix, DOS-Windows and OS/2, if you MUST know!) under SNMP.  However,
 since some vendors (notably IBM, and perhaps Sun?) are shipping their own
agent on their OS (e.g. AIX on RS6000), I find myself in a confused situation.
  Turns out, either my SNMP, or their (IBM's) SNMP will battle for control of
the SNMP port on the machine.  So I need to multiplex both my variables (my
sub-agent) as well as their variables (sub-agent) via the same port.  There
are two published ways to do it:

1.  via MarshallUs SNMP MUX protocol
2.  via the IBM SNMP-DPI

Both of these have their advantages and disadvantages.  In addition, Jeff Case
appears to have even BETTER ideas.  So does Karl Auerbach.  Is it a good idea
to try to standardize on a SINGLE set of ideas?  Do we have enough experimental
knowledge out there to decide which ideas are the optimal set?

If anybody has suggestions as to which way I should go, please e-mail me, or post to the list.

unni
unni@cs.ucla.edu