SNMP FAQ

graham@cs.pdx.edu Mon, 11 November 1991 03:28 UTC

To: snmp@uu.psi.com, tcp-ip@nic.ddn.mil
Subject: SNMP FAQ
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 1991 18:59:08 -0800
From: graham@cs.pdx.edu

- - SNMP FAQ List - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS seen in the COMP.PROTOCOLS.SNMP newsgroup and
SNMP@UU.PSI.COM mailing list. Lines beginning with a plus (+) indicate changes.
Please send me comments, info, corrections. Feel free to make copies and
distribute at will. Thanks again to all those who have provided input.
+Since I see the same questions, and the fact that most sites age Usenet
+articles, I will post this more frequently (every two weeks).

0) How do I remove myself from the snmp mailing list (or add my name to the
   mailing list)?
     Send mail to snmp-request@uu.psi.com. Sending mail to snmp@uu.psi.com
     broadcasts the request to everyone on the network and may not even be
     read by the person administering the mailing list.

1) What SNMP packages are freely available?
     CMU package
          lancaster.andrew.cmu.edu [128.2.12.21]
          snmp1.1b.tar
     SNMP-DK (MIT SNMP Development Kit)
          allspice.lcs.mit.edu [18.26.0.115]
          snmp.tar
  	  author: Chuck Davin <snmp-dk@ptt.lcs.mit.edu>
     ISODE
          nisc.nyser.net [192.33.4.10] pub/isode
          isode-7.tar.Z
          distribution: David Farber (215) 898-8560
     SNMP_MON (for DOS)
          enh.nist.gov [129.6.16.1]
          snmplib.tar_z & snmpsrc.tar_z
          author: Bob Crosson <crosson@cam.nist.gov>
     The Sage
          dutepp0.et.tudelft.nl /pub/Sage (no source)
          mail: dnpap@dutepp0.et.tudelft.nl with subject '@@ help'
     SNMPQL (uses either SNMP-DK or ISODE)
          uu.psi.net
          psisnmp/snmpql (directory)
     Interactive Network Map (uses SNMP-DK)
          ftp.lcs.mit.edu [18.26.0.36]
          nets/map.tar.Z
          author: Mike Patton <MAP-Request@LCS.MIT.Edu>
     DPID package
          (dpid is described in RFC1228, ping_eng: a useful sample subagent)
          vm.utcs.utoronto.ca [128.100.100.2]
          cd anonymous.204
          dpid.tarbin
          ping_eng.tarbin

     I have only used the CMU package. I have found it fairly easy to work
     with and to be pretty much a complete implementation. The MIT package
     is less complete, but listed are a few extensions to the package.
     ISODE (ISO Development Environment for BSD machines) is possibly
     overkill (just the documentation is 3.5meg compressed). SNMP_MON was
     a government sponsored project for DOS machines.

3) Where can I get the vendor specific MIBs, or MIBs under development?
     venera.isi.edu in directory "mib" (for vendor MIBS)
+    nic.ddn.mil [192.67.67.20] in directory "internet-drafts"
+    nnsc.nsf.net [192.31.103.6] in directory "internet-drafts"
+    munnari.oz.au [128.250.1.21] in directory "internet-drafts" (Pacific Rim)
+    nic.nordu.net [192.36.148.17] in directory "internet-drafts" (Europe)

4) How do I get a vendor ID assignment?
     Contact:
          Joyce K. Reynolds
          Internet Asssigned Numbers Authority
          USC/Information Sciences Institute
          4676 Admiralty Way
          Marina del Rey CA 90292-6695 USA
          phone: (213) 822-1511
          iana@isi.edu

5) What is a good book for an introduction into SNMP?
     Comer, Douglas
          "Internetwokring with TCP/IP, Vol. 2"
          Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey, 1991
          ISBN 0-13-472242-6
     Rose, Marshall T.
          "The Simple Book: An Introduction to Management of
          TCP/IP-based internets"
          Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey, 1991
          ISBN 0-13-812611-9
     Rose, Marshall T.
          "The Open Book: A Practical Perspective on
          Open Systems Interconnection"
          Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey, 1989
          ISBN 0-13-643016-3
     Review:
          The book by Comer discusses the various protocols which
          make up the core of the TCP/IP suite, and includes sample
          code for all of them, including SNMP (you can get machine
          readable format from the publisher for $80, I am not sure
          if it is available on the Internet, or what restrictions
          there are on using the code). The book is written in a dry,
          textbook style (not quite as nitty-gritty as Tannenbaum,
          though).

          Rose delves right into the technical details
          but he spruces up the dry material with the occasional
          digression. The Simple Book contains enough information to
          start right away with SNMP (I wrote a prototype SNMP decode
          for a protocol analyzer just from the information in the
          book) and points to other sources of information (it has
          its own FAQ which is much more complete than this FAQ).
          On the whole, I wish more textbooks had this easy-going style.
          The Open Book is useful for understanding some of the issues
          of OSI (the big picture) but is not really necessary for
          understanding SNMP (the Simple Book contains some elements
          of the Open Book).

6) How can I get RFCs (standards documents) pertaining to SNMP?
      Download them from almost anywhere on the Internet. Or, you can
      get them from SRI International.
      FTP:
          ftp.nisc.sri.com, rfc/rfcNNNN.txt
      E-Mail: (possible from CompuServe, BIX, etc.)
          MAIL-SERVER@nisc.sri.com
          (Subject: (blank), body: "SEND RFCnnnn.TXT-1")
      Mail:
          SRI International, EJ291
          DDN Network Information Center
          333 Ravenswood Ave.
          Menlo Park CA 94025
          (800) 235-3155

7) Where can I get IEEE/ISO/CCITT specs (like I can get RFCs)?
+    Until recently, these documents have not been available on the Internet.
+    However, some have been made available (though the ASN.1 documents seem
+    to still be corrupted.
+    FTP: (CCITT Blue Book documents)
+         bruno.cs.colordo.edu
+         gatekeeper.dec.com, in pub/bruno.cs.colorado.edu/pub/standards
+         ftp.uu.net, in doc/standards
+         src.doc.ic.ac.uk (aka nic.ja.net), in doc/ccitt-standards (Europe)

     Mail:
          IEEE and ISO/IEC[IEEE] Standards:
               Service Center
               445 Hoes Lane PO Box 1331
               Piscataway NJ 08855-1331 USA
               (800) 678-4333
          IEEE drafts:
               IEEE Computer Society Documents
               c/o AlphaGraphics
               ATTN: P. Thrush
               10215 N. 35th Ave., Suite A & B
               Phoenix AZ 85051
          ISO and ISO/IEC documents:
               American National Standards Institute
               1430 Broadway
               New York NY 10018 USA

8) How do I obtain RFCs and other packages at the locations mentioned
   above (using FTP)?
     During off hours, type in "FTP <address>".
     When you are asked for a login name, type "anonymous". When it
     asks for a password, type in your E-mail address. From then on,
     you can use commands like "cd", "ls", and "get <name>" to
     move through directories and get files.

+    If you don't have direct Internet access, but mail access through
+    gateways, you can use various mail servers instead. For example,
+    to get help on using the mail server at Princeton AND using Compuserve,
+    you would send a message to ">INTERNET: BITFTP@PUCC.Princeton.edu"
+    with a subject "BITFTP HELP". The Compuserve Internet mail gateway
+    can take a couple of days to pass a message through, and I don't
+    really know the feasability of getting ISODE this way.
+    ">INTERNET:" is the Compuserve way of getting to the Internet.
+    Anybody know of other Mail servers, and how to access the Internet
+    using Genie, Prodigy, BIX, etc.???

9) What mailing lists/news groups discuss SNMP issues?
+    snmp-request@uu.psi.com (SNMP in general)
+    rmonmib-request@lexcel.com (RMON MIB)
+    snmp-sec-dev-request@tis.com (Security issues)
+    finder-request@emerald.acc.com (Device discovery)

10) What standards and drafts are there for SNMP?
+     rfc1052 IAB Recommendations     rfc1089 SNMP over Ethernet
+     rfc1109 Ad-hoc Review           rfc1161 SNMP over OSI
+     rfc1155 SMI                     rfc1248 OSPF MIB
+     rfc1213 MIB-II                  rfc1243 AppleTalk MIB
+     rfc1157 SNMP                    rfc1238 CLNS MIB
+     rfc1156 MIB-I                   rfc1231 IEEE 802.5 Token Ring MIB
+     ISO 8824 (ASN.1)                rfc1230 IEEE 802.4 Token Bus MIB
+     ISO 8825 (BER for ASN.1)        rfc1214 OSI MIB
+     rfc1215 Traps                   rfc1239 Reassignment of MIBs
+     rfc1212 Concise MIB defs        rfc1228 SNMP-DPI
+     rfc1187 Bulk table retrieval    rfc1227 SMUX
+     rfc1229 Generic-interface MIB extensions
+
+     Drafts changes constatnly (many will be upgraded to RFCs at the next
+     IETF meeting). There are currently draft standards for Remote Network
+     Monitoring (RMON), Security, hubs, bridges, and many hardware specific
+     MIBs (X.25, Ethernet, etc.). These are available at Internet draft
+     repositories (see FAQs 3,6, and 8 above).

Disclaimer:   Any opinions are my own and are likely at odds with any
 organization I am associated with, and I probably have made mistakes
 in the information presented (satisfied you legal hacks?)
 Copyright 1991 by Rob Graham                     graham@jove.pdx.edu