a few questions about the party mib spec

Mike Thatcher <thatcher@novell.com> Mon, 20 April 1992 05:48 UTC

Date: Thu, 02 Apr 1992 09:48:54 -0800
From: Mike Thatcher <thatcher@novell.com>
To: snmp-sec-dev@tis.com
Subject: a few questions about the party mib spec

I have a few questions regarding the initial party identifiers contained
in draft-ietf-snmpsec-mib-02.txt.

First off, since no mib views are defined for party ids ending in 2, 4,
or 6, I am assuming that they refer to remote entities. I'm also
assuming the remote entities are managers since the aclPrivleges are
GetResponse and Trap when 2, 4, 6 are targets.  Given these
assumptions:

1. Why are aclPrivleges defined for aclTarget=2, aclSubject=1. Since
aclPrivleges are checked only at the receiving station why does
the sending station need these?

2. The parties 2, 4, 6 have a partyTaddress specified as 0.0.0.0, 0.
Since Traps can be sent then some address is required. Specifying
0.0.0.0, 0 gives the impression that one is not required.

3. Its not clear why the party id ending in 2, 4, and 6 have the IP
address of the agent system since these parties seem to represent
manager systems. It leads me to ask what parties are defined on the
manager system?  If one follows the model, the manager has its set of
initial parties defined with its own ip address so no system has a
common set of initial parties.

I'd appreciate some insight into this.

Mike