SNMPv2 Classic+ editing details

Jeff Case <case@seymour16.snmp.com> Sat, 05 August 1995 03:33 UTC

Date: Fri, 04 Aug 1995 23:03:25 -0400
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: Jeff Case <case@seymour16.snmp.com>
To: snmpv2@tis.com
Subject: SNMPv2 Classic+ editing details
Cc: case@seymour16.snmp.com

Here are the editing instructions for SNMPv2 Classic+.  I did not see a need
to post new drafts for these minor changes which can be folded into any future
drafts.  I felt the blizzard was intense enough already as it is.  I will be
happy to provide them to anyone who requests them.

One proposal under consideration by the working group consists of a series
of 17 documents (labeled SNMPv2 Classic+ for convenience):

	draft-ietf-snmpv2-adminv2-ds-02.txt
	draft-ietf-snmpv2-bcm-ds-01.txt
	draft-ietf-snmpv2-coex-ds-02.txt
	draft-ietf-snmpv2-conf-03.txt
	draft-ietf-snmpv2-conf-ds-02.txt
	draft-ietf-snmpv2-intro-ds-02.txt
	draft-ietf-snmpv2-ip-ds-02.txt
	draft-ietf-snmpv2-mib-ds-02.txt
	draft-ietf-snmpv2-party-ds-02.txt
	draft-ietf-snmpv2-proto-ds-02.txt
	draft-ietf-snmpv2-scm-ds-01.txt
	draft-ietf-snmpv2-sec-ds-02.txt
	draft-ietf-snmpv2-smi-ds-02.txt
	draft-ietf-snmpv2-tc-ds-03.txt
	draft-ietf-snmpv2-tcp-ds-02.txt
	draft-ietf-snmpv2-tm-ds-02.txt
	draft-ietf-snmpv2-udp-ds-02.txt

These documents have been through the refining fire of implementation and
trial deployment but four sets of small modifications are recommended for
consideration:
	1.  alteration of maintenance functions
	2.  sub-second corrections via automatic clock acceleration
	    mechansisms are discarded
	3.  deletion of the optional SCM configuration model
	4.  minor editorial corrections

The details are as follows:

1.  Alteration of Maintenance Functions

    The maintenance functions used for clock synchronization operations
    are modified to use parties 0.0, 0.1, and context 0.0 rather than
    0.0, 0.0, and 0.0, respectively.

    This change allows SNMPv2 Classic+ implementations to interoperate
    with existing SNMPv2 Classic (RFC 1441-1452) implementations.

2.  Automatic clock acceleration

    The automatic clock acceleration mechanisms should be invoked if and only
    if the discrepancy between the received timestamp value and the
    value in the LPD is greater than or equal to one second.  This change
    obviates observed leapfrog behaviors which result from discrepancies of
    partial seconds coupled with rounding effects.

    The editing instructions are as follows:

    step (7) on page 18 of draft-ietf-snmpv2-sec-ds-02.txt, which currently
    reads:

    <(7)  The LPD is consulted for access privileges permitted by local
    <     access policies for the given source destination SNMPv2 parties.
    <     If any level of access is permitted, then the Selective Clock
    <     Acceleration mechanism is invoked as follows:

    <          if the authSrcTimestamp value is greater than the current
    <          value of the authentication clock stored in the LPD for the
    <          source SNMPv2 party, then that current value is advanced to
    <          the authSrcTimestamp value; and,

    <          if the authDstTimestamp value is greater than the current
    <          value of the authentication clock stored in the LPD for the
    <          destination SNMPv2 party, then that current value is advanced
    <          to the authDstTimestamp value.

    <     (Note that this step is conceptually independent from Steps 15-17
    <     of Section 3.2 in [1]).

    is modified to read:

    >(7)  The LPD is consulted for access privileges permitted by local
    >     access policies for the given source destination SNMPv2 parties.
    >     If any level of access is permitted, then the Selective Clock
    >     Acceleration mechanism is invoked as follows:

    >          if the authSrcTimestamp value is greater than the current
    >          value of the authentication clock stored in the LPD for the
    >          source SNMPv2 party, then that current value is advanced to    |
    >          the authSrcTimestamp value if and only if the difference is    |
    >          greater than or equal to one second; and,                      |

    >          if the authDstTimestamp value is greater than the current
    >          value of the authentication clock stored in the LPD for the
    >          destination SNMPv2 party, then that current value is advanced  |
    >          to the authDstTimestamp value if and only if the difference is |
    >          greater than or equal to one second.                           |

    >     (Note that this step is conceptually independent from Step 16       |
    >     of Section 5.1 in [1]).                                             |

3.  Optional SCM model dropped

    The SCM document is deleted from the series and the intro document is
    edited accordingly to remove references to it.  This change is based on
    deployment feedback which indicates that BCM is more simple to implement,
    deploy, and use than is SCM.

    The editing instructions are as follows:

    intro: (page 6)

    Delete references to the SCM document and renumber accordingly.

    <The infrastructure defined in [12] is capable of realizing effective     +
    <network management in a variety of configurations and environments.  It  +
    <is the purpose of the Simplified Configuration Model for SNMPv2 document +
    <[16] and the Basic Configuration Model for SNMPv2 document [17] to       +
    <define two configuration strategies, which may be independently deployed +
    <by an administration.                                                    +

    >The infrastructure defined in [12] is capable of realizing effective     +
    >network management in a variety of configurations and environments.  It  +
    >is the purpose of the Basic Configuration Model for SNMPv2 document [17] +
    >to define one such configuration strategy which may be deployed          +
    >by an administration.                                                    +

    and

    intro: (page 9)

    <[16] Waldbusser, S., Case, J., McCloghrie, K., and Rose, M., "Simplified |
    <     Configuration Model for Version 2 of the the Simple Network         |
    <     Management Protocol (SNMPv2)", Internet Draft, SNMP Research, Inc., |
    <     Cisco Systems, Dover Beach Consulting, Inc., Carnegie Mellon        |
    <     University, March 1995.                                             |
    <
    <[17] Case, J., McCloghrie, K., Rose, M., and Waldbusser, S., "Basic      |
    <     Configuration Model for Version 2 of the the Simple Network         |
    <     Management Protocol (SNMPv2)", Internet Draft, SNMP Research, Inc., |
    <     Cisco Systems, Dover Beach Consulting, Inc., Carnegie Mellon        |
    <     University, March 1995.                                             |

    >[16] Case, J., McCloghrie, K., Rose, M., and Waldbusser, S., "Basic      |
    >     Configuration Model for Version 2 of the the Simple Network         |
    >     Management Protocol (SNMPv2)", Internet Draft, SNMP Research, Inc., |
    >     Cisco Systems, Dover Beach Consulting, Inc., Carnegie Mellon        |
    >     University, March 1995.                                             |

4.  Minor Editorial Corrections

    There are multiple minor editorial corrections which should be made, for
    example, to correct multiple incorrect section cross-references between
    and within documents.  These corrections make reading the documents much
    easier for the uninitiated -- new readers have unnecessarily been confused
    by the documents, in part, because of numerous spurrious references to
    relocated sections, e.g., 3.1 or 3.2 which are now 5.1 and 5.2, etc.

    sec:  (page 16)
    <According to Section 3.1 of [1], a SnmpAuthMsg value is constructed
    >According to Section 5.1 of [1], a SnmpAuthMsg value is constructed

    sec: (page 17)
    <According to Section 5.2 of [1], a SnmpAuthMsg value is evaluated during
    >According to Section 5.2 of [1], a SnmpAuthMsg value is evaluated during

    sec: (page 20)
    <According to Section 5.1 of [1], a SnmpPrivMsg value is constructed
    >According to Section 5.1 of [1], a SnmpPrivMsg value is constructed

    sec: (page 21)
    <According to Section 5.2 of [1], the privData component of a received
    <According to Section 5.2 of [1], the privData component of a received

    admin:  page 29:
    <SNMPv2 access control policy (but see Section 3.15).                      |
    >SNMPv2 access control policy (but see Section 3.16).                      |

    protoops:  (page 14)
    <Section 3.2 of [3] are followed.  If these procedures indicate that the