Updated documents

Keith McCloghrie <kzm@cisco.com> Thu, 21 September 1995 04:38 UTC

Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: Keith McCloghrie <kzm@cisco.com>
Subject: Updated documents
To: snmpv2@tis.com
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 1995 20:34:17 -0700
Cc: Keith McCloghrie <kzm@cisco.com>, Bob Stewart <bstewart@cisco.com>, Deirdre Kostick <kostick@qsun.ho.att.com>

Hi,

I've edited the eleven documents, reviewed the nature and substance
of the changes with the WG chair and NM AD, and submitted them
as Internet-Drafts.  The new documents are:

    draft-ietf-snmpv2-intro-ds-03.txt
    draft-ietf-snmpv2-smi-ds-03.txt
    draft-ietf-snmpv2-conf-ds-03.txt
    draft-ietf-snmpv2-tc-ds-04.txt
    draft-ietf-snmpv2-proto-ds-03.txt
    draft-ietf-snmpv2-tm-ds-03.txt
    draft-ietf-snmpv2-mib-ds-03.txt
    draft-ietf-snmpv2-coex-ds-03.txt
    draft-ietf-snmpv2-ip-ds-03.txt
    draft-ietf-snmpv2-tcp-ds-03.txt
    draft-ietf-snmpv2-udp-ds-03.txt

For this round of editing, I started with the versions that I'd
previously modified to reduce the inter-document cross-references
and to remove the dependencies on a specific administrative/security
framework.

The documents contain change bars indicating changes from the most
recent (31 May 95) versions produced by the WG Editor; this is to
assist you in verifying that the new drafts are acceptable, and that
they do not have any proposal-specific content.

Prior to their available as I-D's, you can retrieve them via
anonymous-FTP from ftp.cisco.com from file /ftp/kzm/snmpV2.tar.Z

Summary of Changes
------------------

All documents:

- As directed by the NM AD, all documents now have only the Editor's
  name on the front page, with the four previous co-authors being listed
  prominently in the Acknowledgements section.
- Added names of all authors/co-authors of proposals to WG over past
  three months to Acknowledgements section.

Documents with other changes:

draft-ietf-snmpv2-intro-ds-03.txt

- Rewrote Administrative Framework section to state that SNMPv2 is the
  same framework as was used for SNMPv1.  Included references to
  relevant sections of 1157 with appropriate updates, and defined the
  form of a Message with a new version number.

draft-ietf-snmpv2-proto-ds-03.txt

- Included Report-PDU in PDUs CHOICE.
  (But note that no definition of how/when to use Report is included,
  since in all proposals to the WG, the text on usage of Report-PDUs
  occurred in unapproved Admin and/or Security documents).
- Replaced the text on security models in section 4.2 (in the discussion
  of generating and receiving a message) with references to the intro
  document (draft-ietf-snmpv2-intro-ds-03.txt).
- Removed references to security models in section 4.2.6 and 4.2.7.

draft-ietf-snmpv2-tm-ds-03.txt

- Changed references to "community-based SNMPv1" to be just "SNMPv1"
  in section 2 and section 7.

draft-ietf-snmpv2-mib-ds-03.txt

- Removed references to "SNMPv2 context".
- Removed references to security models in the Case diagram for stats
  counters, and combined the community-based stats counters into the
  one Case diagram with the other stats counters.
- Redefined the community-based stats counters to apply to all usage of
  community-based authentication, not just SNMPv1's usage.
- Renamed the snmpV1Group to be the snmpCommunityGroup.

draft-ietf-snmpv2-coex-ds-03.txt

- Removed reference to security model in section 3.1.2.

draft-ietf-snmpv2-conf-ds-03.txt

- Fixed several Usage Examples to be consistent with new version of MIB
  (draft-ietf-snmpv2-mib-ds-03.txt).

Keith.