Re: [Softwires] Topology of the home network in draft-tsou-softwire-gwinit-6rd-01

Maglione Roberta <roberta.maglione@telecomitalia.it> Tue, 09 November 2010 14:09 UTC

From: Maglione Roberta <roberta.maglione@telecomitalia.it>
To: Tina TSOU <tena@huawei.com>, Ole Troan <otroan@employees.org>
Date: Tue, 09 Nov 2010 15:09:34 +0100
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: "softwires@ietf.org" <softwires@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Softwires] Topology of the home network in draft-tsou-softwire-gwinit-6rd-01

Hi Tina,

>>what is it that makes existing softwires mesh solutions unsuitable for crossing the IPv4 only metro network? I'm thinking specifically on 6PE or BGP tunnels.
>Ole, thank you for asking. I didn't say that. IMHO, 6PE or BGP are more appropriately used in core network. There are fewer uses of MPLS in metro network. BGP tunnels are also more appropriate >for core network.

This claim sounds quite strange to me: many SPs already use IP/MPLS in aggregation network segment and there are a lot of discussions both in IETF and BBF and interest from different SPs about extending the use of IP/MPLS to access segment in order to have a single technology end-to-end  (access, aggregation and core) for all services.

Best regards,
Roberta