Re: [Softwires] Provisioning Format for CPE BR/lwAFTR Address

<ian.farrer@telekom.de> Thu, 02 May 2013 08:35 UTC

From: ian.farrer@telekom.de
To: rajiva@cisco.com, otroan@employees.org
Date: Thu, 02 May 2013 10:35:46 +0200
acceptlanguage: en-US, de-DE
Cc: softwires@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Softwires] Provisioning Format for CPE BR/lwAFTR Address

Hi Rajiv,

Please see inline.

Cheers,
Ian

On 26/04/2013 18:13, "Rajiv Asati (rajiva)" <rajiva@cisco.com> wrote:

>Hi Ian,
>
>Please see inline,
>
>> [ian] I'm also not sure about the need for this (I certainly don't plan
>> use it), but it's been raised. Do any other operators see a need for
>>this
>> in their architecture?
>
>Thanks for posing this Q to the other operators (and sharing your view).

[ian] It would be great if some other operators would share!

>> [ian] MAP-E & lw4o6 both need a /128 for the concentrator (whether this
>>is
>> supplied as a prefix or an FQDN) and will not work without this. MAP-T
>>can
>> not have a /128 prefix for the DMR (/96 is the longest). MAP-E & lw4o6
>> wouldn't work if they were provisioned with a MAP-T DMR compatible
>>prefix.
>> MAP-T wouldn't work if it was provisioned with a MAP-E / lw4o6 DMR
>> compatible prefix. It makes sense to have a single option/sub-option for
>> provisioning MAP-E and lw4o6 BRs and use a separate option/sub-option
>>for
>> MAP-T.
>
>If the same option provides prefix-length and prefix, then MAP-E, -T and
>lw4o6 can leverage it accordingly. This is how MAP-DHCP already does it
>(for MAP modes) and could be exploited to include lw4o6.
>
>This kinda approach is widely used in other protocols:
>
>IPv6 RA PIO - http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4861#section-4.6.2
>MPLS OAM - http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4379#section-3.2.2

[ian] Certainly it works. My problem here is how we can align all of the
different softwire approaches with the Unified CPE model of using the
presence or absence of the options to define which sw mode to configure?
MAP (E&T) use the DMR + an 8 bit flags field. A single DMR sub-option,
with the flag telling the CPE how to interpret it.

What would be more in line with the unified CPE model (and in line with
what's in
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-dhc-option-guidelines-11#section-5.2)
 would be to break out the MAP-T DMR and the MAP-E/lw4o6 DMR into
different sub-options and use their presence or absence to tell the CPE
which softwire mode use, rather than the current flags field that only has
a single option.

I don’t really like this mixed approach of 'option presence' for some
softwire modes and flags for others. I really think that we need to align
on a single approach here (the one in the Unified CPE draft).