Re: [Softwires] Updates on H&S framework draft

"Greg Shepherd" <gjshep@gmail.com> Mon, 19 March 2007 17:57 UTC

Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 10:57:00 -0700
From: Greg Shepherd <gjshep@gmail.com>
To: Bruno STEVANT <bruno.stevant@enst-bretagne.fr>
Subject: Re: [Softwires] Updates on H&S framework draft
Cc: softwires@ietf.org

On 3/19/07, Bruno STEVANT <bruno.stevant@enst-bretagne.fr> wrote:

> For the Mesh framework, it makes sense to have multicast
> considerations included in the Framework document.
> For the H&S framework, deploying multicast is mostly to give to the
> involved components of a Softwire a role in the multicast topology.
> No special encap., signaling, etc.

I was addressing the question as to whether the hub is part of the L3
infrastructure (and therefore running PIM) or is just an L2 dumb hub
(transiting/broadcasting PIM messages to the other spokes) - neither appear
as deployment-only issues to me. Either way it will need some mcast smarts
and should be addressed in the draft.

But there is still some scenarios to explore : ASM/SSM, emmitter and
> receiver between SI ... This will probably be part of a separate
> document, which will be guidelines for deployment.

Again, I don't see these as deployment issues but as actual hub
functionality issues.

Greg