Re: [Softwires] [v4tov6transition] ISP support of Native IPv6 across NAT44 CPEs -Proposed 6a44 Specification

"Yiu L. Lee" <yiu_lee@cable.comcast.com> Fri, 08 October 2010 18:37 UTC

Date: Fri, 08 Oct 2010 14:36:22 -0400
From: "Yiu L. Lee" <yiu_lee@cable.comcast.com>
To: Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpenter@gmail.com>, Ole Troan <otroan@employees.org>
Cc: Softwires <softwires@ietf.org>, v4tov6transition@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Softwires] [v4tov6transition] ISP support of Native IPv6 across NAT44 CPEs -Proposed 6a44 Specification

Hi Brian,

I think this is all relative. I discussed internally about software
download. Their answer to me is "BIG NO". Reason is SP must run QA tests for
every possible OS/patches combination. Worst is we need to redo this again
when a new patch/upgrade is released. This is far costly than you can
imagine (way more than the $80 new CPE). In the end, I would vote for the
dongle based over host based anytime.

Is dongle more viable option than new CPE? I think this is the real debate.

Cheers,
Yiu