Re: [Softwires] draft-ietf-softwire-gateway-init-ds-list-02

Mark Townsley <mark@townsley.net> Tue, 29 March 2011 08:51 UTC

From: Mark Townsley <mark@townsley.net>
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2011 10:52:55 +0200
To: "Lee, Yiu" <Yiu_Lee@Cable.Comcast.com>
Cc: "softwires@ietf.org" <softwires@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Softwires] draft-ietf-softwire-gateway-init-ds-list-02

On Mar 29, 2011, at 10:14 AM, Lee, Yiu wrote:

> Hi Mark,
>
> I interpreted it differently, I think we are talking about IPv4 (not IPv6) over MPLS and the CGN will use the MPLS label for the NAT binding. For the comment about IPvX over IPvY in softwire, GI-DS-lite is more than IPvX over IPvY, but it got advanced (by mistake ;-) )

Simple typo, I typed "IPv6" when I meant "IPv4" below, apologies.

The documents a refer to clearly are for the IPv4 case though.

So, the "L2-Aware" NAT, or "ds-extra-lite" in the documents below is a CGN which uses a VLAN, MPLS Label, PPP session, Ethernet MAC address, etc...  I think we should continue to describe this generally rather than try and list every single possible L2 construct than can carry IPv4 and use it to plug into a NAT binding.

- Mark