RE: [Softwires] Notes and Consensus from Interim Meeting in Hong Kong

"Bill Storer \(bstorer\)" <bstorer@cisco.com> Thu, 09 March 2006 21:49 UTC

Subject: RE: [Softwires] Notes and Consensus from Interim Meeting in Hong Kong
Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2006 13:48:35 -0800
From: "Bill Storer (bstorer)" <bstorer@cisco.com>
To: jordi.palet@consulintel.es, softwires@ietf.org

Hi Jordi,

More responses inline.

Bill

Regardless of whether NTT allows others to use their code or not, here's one large service provider who's implemented the softwires over l2tpv2 already.  Other SPs who want to play can port the available Linux code to XP.  If anyone's in such a hurry that they can't wait for a port, they can get a point6 box and hook it up between the XP machine and the IPv4 network.

> > When talking about time to market it's important to
> remember the widespread
> > implementation of L2TPv2 in the service provider
> environment.  It's been shown
> > to scale well, be reliable and manageable.  Waiting for
> multiple service
> > providers to implement another protocol would be a time to
> market issue.
>
> Agree, is a difficult situation. Both sides need to work:
> Clients need to
> have support and also ISPs.
>
> However, when we evaluated, in the meeting, the criteria, we
> write too fast
> what is the real support available, and only realized it
> afterwards. Even
> still not 100% clear, at least for me.
>
> Time to market from TSP, right now, seems to me much better
> than L2TP from
> the client side. I know I can download a client for all the
> platforms and
> that it works ALL the time, with any NAT box. But ISPs don't have TSP
> support implemented, just a very few.

The ISP issue is big.  Many ISPs are already managing large scale L2TPv2 implementations.  They know they can depend on it to be reliable and scale to large numbers.  It's taken them years to get to this point with L2TP.  Compared to implementing another protocol in their core, the effort to port an L2TP client to XP is small.   In addition, a large ISP rolling out an IPv6oIPv4 solution may want to produce their own client.  The effort of porting the L2TP source to XP could be done in parallel to the other client efforts.  So time to market wouldn't change much, if at all.

> However, looking from the ISP side, they have L2TP but not
> with IPv6 support
> most of them. It could be easy, may be, but is that meaning 3
> months or 12
> months ?
>

> >> 2) In most of the implementations using IPsec seems also
> >> mandatory, again
> >> time to market, in a practical perspective, is broken.
> >
> > As mentioned before, there is a registry setting to turn
> off Ipsec with L2TP
> > in Windows.
>
> Ok, but this is trick that a regular user will not be able to play ...
>
> Anyway, if you know it, please, let us know and we can start playing
> ourselves at least ! The result of playing with it can help
> to take the
> decision ...
>

> >> 3) There is no way to delegate an IPv4 prefix. This is not
> >> clearly reflected
> >> in the actual problem statement, but it was (there is a
> >> missing paragraph
> >> that was asking for using DHCP in the same way as DHCPv6).
> This can be
> >> easily resolved with a DHCPv4-PD option. But here again the
> >> time to market
> >> issue.
> >>
> >> 4) How IPv6 DNS parameter(s) is(are) provided. Again time to
> >> market. May be
> >> there are other parameters that we are also missing here.
> >
> > A quick google search shows there are dhcpv6 clients
> available for Windows XP.
> >
> > http://klub.com.pl/dhcpv6/
>
> Yes, I know, but it means adding more pieces of software to
> the client,
> which means (from my point of view) a decrease in the "time-to-market"
> scoring. The question is how much this weights :-(
>
> We had already a long discussion some time ago which is very
> relevant for
> PDAs, cellular devices, embedded devices, etc. They have
> memory and CPU
> problems and requiring more code may be a handicap.
>
> If there are some stats about how much cost, in terms of
> bytes, a DHCPv6
> implementation in different platforms, that will be very useful.
>
> Same question for L2TPv2 and L2TPv3.
>
> May be comparing that against the cost of TSP, can bring some
> light to this
> ?

DHCP is the accepted standard for distributing information such as DNS parameters.  L2TP is a widely accepted method of providing vpn services. IPv6 devices are going to have to deal with these protocols regardless of softwires.  I don't think we want to deviate from a widely accepted standards to make a lighter weight client.