RE: [Softwires] Re: [Idr] Re: Last Call: 'Connecting IPv6 Islands overIPv4 MPLS using IPv6 Provider Edge Routers (6PE)' to ProposedStandard

"Chris Metz \(chmetz\)" <chmetz@cisco.com> Tue, 29 August 2006 00:15 UTC

Subject: RE: [Softwires] Re: [Idr] Re: Last Call: 'Connecting IPv6 Islands overIPv4 MPLS using IPv6 Provider Edge Routers (6PE)' to ProposedStandard
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 20:14:55 -0400
From: "Chris Metz (chmetz)" <chmetz@cisco.com>
To: Yakov Rekhter <yakov@juniper.net>, David Ward <dward@cisco.com>
DKIM-Signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; l=4195; t=1156810497; x=1157674497; c=relaxed/simple; s=rtpdkim2001; h=Content-Type:From:Subject:Content-Transfer-Encoding:MIME-Version; d=cisco.com; i=chmetz@cisco.com; z=From:=22Chris=20Metz=20\(chmetz\)=22=20<chmetz@cisco.com> |Subject:RE=3A=20[Softwires]=20Re=3A=20[Idr]=20Re=3A=20Last=20Call=3A=20'Connecti ng=20IPv6=20Islands=20overIPv4=20MPLS=20using=20IPv6=20Provider=20Edge=20Ro uters=20(6PE)'=20to=20ProposedStandard=20 |To:=22Yakov=20Rekhter=22=20<yakov@juniper.net>, =20=22David=20Ward=22=20<dwa rd@cisco.com>; X=v=3Dcisco.com=3B=20h=3DN+qGmMlSQbEfTn5yiNcEniFWysI=3D; b=xmpsF3rJ9MSrefyc0TUu4BSq3Cap0fgkRqKXDait1g+WXAP2rs3TIUrm9aVeeAtSkXOteFAy eM6i/MIi03tGomEg2nd4qZYfyZ6Ovh/Y/5L4udNAIvBlN5Kc5hPM86hC;
> IPv6 Islands overIPv4 MPLS using IPv6 Provider Edge Routers
> (6PE)' to ProposedStandard
>
> David,
>
> > Yakov, Bill -
> >
> > Having read the document I have some initial comments.
> First, 6PE is
> > an excellent solution. Overstating the obvious (perhaps my greatest
> > talent), this is a solution for the subset of softwire
> problems that
> > would be used for 6-over-4 when the encaps policy is
> "always use MPLS"
> > and there are no security requirements. I will leave the
> question of
> > 'no security requirements' for this solution to others.
> >
> > The major deficiency from a softwires vantage point is that
> the v4 NH
> > gets encoded in a  v6 format, but semantically it's  v4 and this
> > encoding trick doesn't work when you're doing v6 over v4.
> This is not
> > to say the solution doesn't work but, since softwires has to solve
> > both v4 over v6 and v6 over
> > v4 (and variants including VPNs); I strongly urge that we
> don't have
> > multiple techniques to derive the AF of the NH.
>
> As we move forward, I agree with the goal of having a single
> technique to derive AF of the NH within the context of
> MP_REACH/MP_UNREACH.

Second that ...

> > The current advancement of multiple techniques that require either
> > encoding or length-check should be cleared up and made
> obvious and consistent.
> >
> > I recommend some number of bits (or a byte) be used to
> state clearly
> > what the AF of the NH is and leave in original encoding. A
> capability
> > can be added to make sure that a peer can understand the
> new bits. Of
> > course, I am looking for the minimal change to the doc and
> to BGP but,
> > this matter needs to be discussed. The assumptions becoming
> embedded
> > in the techniques of how to figure out what the actual AF of the NH
> > could be easily cleared up w/ the suggestion of just very
> small number of bits and a capability in BGP.
>
> While having "new bits" may be sufficient, it is by no means
> necessary. This is because the current/original encoding
> already provides a way to distinguish between IPv4 and IPv6
> addresses in the NH of MP_REACH/MP_UNREACH. I am referring to
> the approach already used in several documents approved by
> the IETF (e.g., draft-ietf-l2vpn-signaling,
> draft-ietf-l3vpn-rt-constrain,
> draft-ietf-l2vpn-vpls-bgp) where the NH Length field is used
> to distinguish between IPv4 and IPv6 as the NH.

In the IETF docs you site, it seems like the use of NH length as a
protocol distinguisher is driven
by the fact that MP-BGP is functioning not as a routing protocol but
rather
as a multi-router distribution vehicle for provisioning/signaling/policy
information.
One must use what fields are available in the MP_REACH/MP_UNREACH even
if the length of a particular
field indicates its type.

With routing protocols I have always assumed that there are explicit
type fields to identify a particular protocol value.

> And just for completeness, the current/original encoding
> provides yet another way to distingush between IPv4 and IPv6
> as the NH addresses - use two different SAFIs to distinguish
> between IPv4 and
> IPv6 as the NH. However, I am not aware of any IETF
> technologies that use this approach.

Is SAFI explosion a potential problem? I am thinking we would need
O(X * Y) number of new values where X is the AFI/SAFI carried across the
transport network and Y is the AFI/SAFI of the transport network.

Chris