[lamps] Éric Vyncke's No Objection on draft-ietf-lamps-rfc5019bis-08: (with COMMENT)

Éric Vyncke via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org> Tue, 16 April 2024 10:45 UTC

From: Éric Vyncke via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: draft-ietf-lamps-rfc5019bis@ietf.org, lamps-chairs@ietf.org, spasm@ietf.org, housley@vigilsec.com, housley@vigilsec.com
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2024 03:45:42 -0700
Subject: [lamps] Éric Vyncke's No Objection on draft-ietf-lamps-rfc5019bis-08: (with COMMENT)

Éric Vyncke has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-lamps-rfc5019bis-08: No Objection

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-lamps-rfc5019bis/

COMMENT:

# Éric Vyncke, INT AD, comments for draft-ietf-lamps-rfc5019bis-08

Thank you for the work put into this document.

Please find below some non-blocking COMMENT points (including a nearly DISCUSS
for section 3.1.1) but replies would be appreciated even if only for my own
education).

Special thanks to Russ Housley for the shepherd's detailed write-up including
the WG consensus *but it lacks* the justification of the intended status.

I hope that this review helps to improve the document,

Regards,

-éric

# COMMENTS (non-blocking)

## Section 3.1.1

Even if 3.1.1 is included in 3.1 (profile-related), `OCSPRequests that conform
to this profile` the "this" is a little unclear. Suggest to be more specific
rather than using "this".

About `these OCSP clients should transition`, should this be a normative
"SHOULD" ? Also, the paragraph above has a "MUST" for SHA-256 and this text
appears to allow for SHA-1. To be honest, I was really close to ballot a
DISCUSS on this point.

## Section 3.1.2

I am confused after reading this section. Should the responders simply ignore
invalid request signature ? How can a server "MUST be prepared" while still
responders "MAY ignore the signature".

## Section 3.2.2

Isn't `on the returned OCSPResponse` a pleonasm ? I.e., the response is always
'returned'.

## Section 3.2.4

`producedAt MUST be expressed Greenwich Mean Time (Zulu)` or should be UTC ?

## Section 6

Even if the payload is signed and contains public information, is a non-https
scheme suitable in `including the scheme and delimiters (http://)` ?

## Section 7.1

Should there be any recommendation on the Max-Age value in `responders MAY
indicate when the client should fetch an updated OCSP response by using the
cache- control:max-age directive`?

## Section 7.2

Are CDN implicitly covered by "HTTP proxies" ?

In `max-age = < n > -where n is a time value later than thisUpdate but earlier
than nextUpdate.` is max-age really an absolute time rather than a relative
time in seconds ?

## Section 7.3

Probably due to my lack of knowledge about OCSP, but is there a difference in
"OCSP responder" and "server" in this section ? Especially about `First, it
allows for the caching of OCSP responses on the server, thus lowering the
number of hits to the OCSP responder.`