Re: [lamps] [saag] Proposal for OCSP over DNS

"Dr. Pala" <madwolf@openca.org> Fri, 27 October 2017 20:54 UTC

To: spasm@ietf.org
From: "Dr. Pala" <madwolf@openca.org>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2017 14:54:32 -0600
Subject: Re: [lamps] [saag] Proposal for OCSP over DNS

Hi Phillip, all,

I totally agree with your points - however, I still think that proposing
this work could have some benefits and can be complimentary to work that
will tackle more efficient revocation. I would support work in that
direction and I think that this work could be a good starting point.

In the meantime, providing the additional option to use DNS for the
revocation info distribution (although more efficient data structures
might be defined in the future) could help preparing support in software
out there without the need to modify the data structures for the revInfo.

For OCSP over QUIC (and, please, correct me if I am wrong here :D), I
personally think that that would be more related to the transport layer
(more similar to an HTTP endpoint) while one of the main points here is
the use of the distributed and cached architecture of DNS which can help
in reducing operational costs for CAs, move the revocation data closer
to the edge of the network, and provide another distribution mechanism
that can be leveraged by clients (not just browsers.. but also for IoT
environments when authenticating devices and/or servers) that might not
have direct access to the Internet but that can query the DNS system :D

Thanks again,

Cheers,
Max