RE: [speechsc] Fallback <audio> and 003 uri-failure

"Shanmugham, Saravanan" <sarvi@cisco.com> Tue, 09 May 2006 16:51 UTC

Subject: RE: [speechsc] Fallback <audio> and 003 uri-failure
Date: Tue, 09 May 2006 09:51:24 -0700
From: "Shanmugham, Saravanan" <sarvi@cisco.com>
To: Andrew Wahbe <awahbe@voicegenie.com>, Dave Burke <david.burke@voxpilot.com>
Cc: speechsc@ietf.org

A couple of things.
Current Draft:
    1. In the example mentioned the Completion-Cause header that comes
in a SPEAK-COMPLETE message with a request-state of COMPLETE MUST
reflect the final completion state of the operation(in this case SPEAK).
Which means that in this SSML example the Completion-Cause code should
be "normal". Because, though there were some URI fetch failure, the
alternative <audio> succeeded and hence the overall SPEAK operation was
successfull.
    2. The MRCP server must log the failed URI to its logging system.

Future Possible Extentions:
    3. In future, if there are exceptions that the client needs to be
notified of, such as the above URI failures in this example, they MUST
be sent as events(say EXCEPTION) that MUST carry a request-state of
IN-PROGRESS (as the request, say SPEAK, is still proceeding) and an
Exception-Cause. The values that can be specified in the Exception-Cause
are most likely a small sub-set of the Completion-Cause values.
    4.  Such EXCEPTION events should be used only if the resource is
able to proceed past these errors, else it would be a <request>-COMPLETE
event.
    5. As a general guide for the protocol, we should design all future
requests that need multiple response scenarios, as a response that
returns status 200 and request-state IN-PROGRESS or PENDING if the
request was queued or successfully started. Future intermediate
request-state of IN-PROGRESS or PENDING. The final response to the
request MUST be sent as a <request>-COMPLETE event with a request-state
of COMPLETE and a Completion-Cause header.

I understand we could have designed the system to have multiple
the current design is one response and possible multiple events. Which
is essentially the same thing and gives the same level of flexibility as
the other approach, just that the 2+ response messages looks slightly
different.

So we should stick to this general approach when proposing future
extensions to the protocol such as the EXCEPTION event.

Thx,
Sarvi